Monday, November 1, 2010

A Dress for Me

As my brother-in-law's wedding drew closer, I decided that I couldn't wear the dress that I had worn for the last three weddings.  I just didn't feel like shopping either (my sister is shaking her head and has a look of bewilderment on her face).  Really, I just don't love the mall.  So, what is a girl to do?

With very little sewing experience - see previous two posts for completed projects - I decided that it was a good idea to make a strapless dress to wear to this wedding.  I am pretty sure there were a few family members thinking that I was crazy.  How hard can it be?  Buy the pattern, cut the pieces, follow the instructions and sew a few seams . . .

Okay, although it was a little more involved than I had anticipated, it truly wasn't too difficult.

Here it is in all its glory - and those arms are proof that I don't work out!

 Don't mind the wrinkles, after the reception the dress was rolled into a ball and thrown in my closet, only to be taken out minutes before these glamour photos as taken by hubby.

This is also a great shot to show that the dress is a little ill fitting.  The bunching makes it look to small, but the problem is that there is too much fabric and it is a little large.


A lovely side profile, don't I look stunning? ;)


Now with this last view I must reveal a little secret.  As well made as this dress appears, I had to safety-pin it to my bra to ensure that it did end up around my ankles.  (I of course then prayed that my bra would stay securely around my chest; I can report success!)


I can report that overall I was happy with the way this dress turned out.  Before my next garment, I will take extra care to redo my measurements to make sure I make the most accurate size

Live the moment, love life!
Annabelle

4 comments:

  1. Yeah! I love that I can see a better picture of it! Maybe I will make a dress for the wedding I am going to in January... we will see! Looks great AB!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks darling! I am starting to think of ideas for my next few weddings - thank goodness they are next fall, so I will have plenty of time to make them. I would love to see what you come up with for the January wedding.

    ReplyDelete
  3. After I read your comment, I just had to see if you had posted about your first dress. It looks wonderful! I would never have guessed this was your first project. I really like that neckline. The pleats look very well done.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Wow, how sweet of you to take the time to find my first dress! You are too kind with your compliments. I might try to make this again without the boning and add straps instead.

      Delete