Saturday, November 20, 2010

Making Gingerbread

Last week was a gorgeous week, hitting high sixties Monday through Friday.  Then Saturday morning we woke up to this:




All I could think of was Christmas.  I know, it's a little too early to begin thinking about Christmas - we must wait until after Thanksgiving.  There is just something about that first snowfall - especially when it covers the trees like the above photos - that makes me start dreaming of a white Christmas.

So the snow really made me want to start something crafty and festive.  Unfortunately, I had a wedding to go to that day that took up most of the day.  So my creative thoughts were put on hold - or at least the execution of them.

I began to think of ideas on how to use up my scrap pile.  There's not much to it, but I still hate having my box of "rags" fill up knowing full well that they very likely have no purpose.  But then I had a great idea.  Oven mitts!  It would only need a small amount of fabric and it would use up the small strip of batting that was left over from my baby quilt.

In my my head I pictured an adorable gingerbread man oven mitt, something worthy of an upscale boutique kitchen shop.  Unfortunately, there was a slight disconnect between what I pictured and what I made. 

So at  first, here is what my little oven mitt looked like.
I decided that my gingerbread girl could use a little more help in the looks department.  So to add a little femininity, I gave her some hair!  It really made a big  difference.

Little gingerbread girl with some lovely locks.
My darling husband thinks she needs a partner, a gingerbread boy man.  Unfortunately, there was a gingerbread man, he was my test run and didn't turn out as well.  Perhaps after some TLC from a seam-ripper (is that possible?) and my sewing machine, he will be salvageable.

For now I am happy with my one oven mitt.  It will be used, and I will show her off over the holidays while taking out a fresh cookie sheet filled with ginger people.

If there is an interest, I will provide a tutorial and a pattern for you to create this little lovely.  Just leave a comment to let me know.

How about you wonderful readers, do you have any wonderful projects inspired by the snow and upcoming holidays?  I would love to hear from you.

Live the moment, love life!
Annabelle


2 comments:

  1. How cute is that AB! I like the quirkiness of it, don't change it! <3 it! I have to wait till after Thanksgiving for the winter stuff too, now I have to decide what to do!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thank you! I will fix the boy someday and post a picture of him too. For now, I have already been using my new oven mitt when baking cookies.

    ReplyDelete