Thursday, February 24, 2011

Vintage Pattern Finds

1950's pattern - I would love to sew up the little bolero.

Oh my!  I have not been doing much blogging - mostly that's because I haven't been making a lot of progress in any of my sewing or knitting projects.  My attention was also diverted by trying to win some fantastic patterns on eBay.  Unfortunately I was not as aggressive or ambitious as some and missed out on two patterns that I would have loved to have (Seriously though - patterns going for $40?)

I was a little dumbfounded at the popularity of these two patterns that I was after.  (They were pattern magazines from the 1930's that included multiple patterns and the ability to make them in multiple sizes).  The few ventures I had previously had on eBay maybe involved one or two bids in addition to mine, although I have often been the only bidder on some of the patterns that I really wanted.

However, being aggressively outbid on some of the recent desires of my heart, I decided to check out a thrift shop where there would be no competition (and no shipping charges!).  The first one I went to didn't have much of anything - I even asked an employee if they had sewing patterns and I was informed that they don't really get those kind of donations.  So onto the next store.  This one was an antique thrift shop, I felt my odds would be a little better here.  

When I approached an employee about sewing patterns, I was handed a small stack while another employee went to grab the "box from the back."  A whole box, there must be hope that I can find something.

While most of the patterns in the box were from the 70's I did find two patterns from the1950's and one from the 1960's.  The best part, he only charged me $0.50 a piece!  What a great deal.  The patterns are a little small for me, but there is some potential and I would love to find some time to sew these up.


I'm not sure I will make the entire dress, but I would like to try using the bodice piece to make a blouse. 
a 1960's pattern that I think would make a nice shift dress for work.
Any ideas for what you would do with these patterns?  How do you make vintage sewing fit into a modern world?

Live the moment, love life!
Annabelle



6 comments:

  1. You brought up several really good points. First eBay, I have noticed too, that there is much more traffic and bids for patterns. 40 dollars is a lot! I think people are returning to sewing and there is more competition to buy patterns. The patterns you got are great. I did have trouble with using a half size pattern. They are designed for shorter waisted women. If you want to make them modern, stretch fabrics always say modern. And really dresses always fit in our world, at least for me. Wear what you want Annabelle!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Make the dress on the first one. It is super cute!! And then you could make one for me, and we could be such cute housewife twins! (Maybe I will finish the one I started from the pattern I bought.) So cute AB, you'll look great in both. I think next you should make a sexy vintage little black dress.

    ReplyDelete
  3. You did great finding those patterns. It's always worth asking!!
    Pxxx

    ReplyDelete
  4. Vintage Girl - thanks for the tip about half sizes, I was a little unsure as to exactly what that meant. I love that you say "wear what you want" - great advice for anyone :)

    Chereazy - I will try to make the first dress - which of course means there will be a matching one for you too. I'll work on a sexy little dress somewhere down the road.

    Portia - seriously, you never know what you'll miss if you don't just ask!

    ReplyDelete
  5. These patterns are beautiful! I have to say I love getting patterns from thrift shops too :) They are fabulous, and you can always extend/diminish the sizes if need be - good luck with them!
    As for vintage sewing in the modern era - I think it's quite in fashion at the moment! Well, with creative souls anyway - hope your dress/blouse goes amazingly!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Rhonie - thanks for the support! I am new to this sewing journey, and taking each step pretty slowly - so it may be a while before you see anything from theses patterns . . .

    ReplyDelete