Thursday, March 10, 2011

A Lovely Surprise!


Today I received a vintage pattern in the mail that I had ordered (I know, I'm doing a little too much of buying patterns and not enough sewing - more on that in another post).  The seller of this pattern was not only awesome enough to have a stash of lovely 1930's patterns that she was selling at a reasonable price with modest shipping charges - she sent me an little surprise with my pattern.  How sweet is that?

My little surprise was a six page Hollywood Patterns of Youth pamphlet from 1939.  It has some really beautiful pictures.  And what kind of blogger would I be if I did not share these images with you?

Debbie from My Sew Happy Place has been posting jumpers lately, perhaps that
is why the jumper on the far left has caught my eye.

The strapless number is darling, if you took off some length it would be a great sundress.

The jacket/dress combo second from the last is my favorite.
I love the way the bow peeps out over the collar of the jacket, and how it opens to show some of the dress.

I love the extra details that vintage patterns add - buttons down the front,
interesting sleeves, little bows, sashes . . .

I don't think I could pull it off, but the overall-shorts could be cute.
I was just delighted with my surprise today.  Hopefully I can put some of my time to good use and start sewing more - it is just a terribly  slow process for me.  (I tend to the enjoy the envisioning what I can make more than the actually making of it - that should change with practice)

Have you come across any wonderful surprises in your week?  What details of these dresses have caught your eye?

Live the moment, love life!
Annabelle





2 comments:

  1. I like number 2 with the bow detail and the collar. It's really nice, I do hope you make this pattern up. It's a great find. Thanks for sharing. A surprise I got this week was a necklace of beads that match the swing dress I made. Been looking awhile! Happy sewing!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh, I wish I could make it up, but it is only a pamphlet of patterns - not the actual patterns :( However, I have started to grow a small vintage pattern stash, so keep those fingers crossed that I do something about it.

    How exciting to get necklace to go along with your swing dress, can't wait to see more photos.

    ReplyDelete