Wednesday, March 16, 2011

My Happy Swing!


I am so delighted that I was able to finish this project on time.  There were so many little obstacles that got in the way, but thankfully there were a few extensions and I was able to complete this dress - which I love!


The whole way through sewing this dress I just wasn't sure if it would be a good fit.  Now that it is done, it is so comfortable, flatters my figure and is even work appropriate (I work in an office wear suits are often worn).

I am also so excited that this is the only self-portrait session I have done where I like the pictures :)  Too many of the pictures I have taken of myself for this blog are with me setting my camera on some random solid surface and running to get in position before the flash goes off.  It's no difference with these photos, but they actually turned out.  (I would like to thank the Earle Brown fire hydrant for being so readily available to hold my camera).




 The other fun thing I have to mention about this dress is that I finally have a use for my brooch.  I received it as a gift while I was visiting my extended family that lives in Ukraine.  I have no idea if it is vintage, but my mom and I both agree that it is not new - so I'll tag it as vintage.  It is the perfect accessory for this dress.


Sorry for the redundant pictures, I am just so thrilled that my self portraits turned out.

Live the moment, love life!
Annabelle

18 comments:

  1. So cute!! I totally thought you were at Earle Brown. And the confirmation completes it! Love Love Love the dress! Great pics! (is it warm there now???) Hugs. My parents come this weekend, tons to do!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Anabelle this dress is stunning and looks perfect on you! Well done! I'm dying to know if you used a pattern, and if so which one? What kind of fabric is that?

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hi there! I found your blog from the link you posted on Casey's swing dress party post. I just have to tell you that I love the way your dress turned out! Its my favorite one I've seen. I didn't make a dress but seeing yours makes me want to try one! The broach is beautiful as well! Congrats on making a wonderful dress!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I agree the broach is the perfect accessory for the dress. I think the dress really great in black. I found your blog through Casey's blog.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Aw, it's beautiful!!! You've every right to be pleased.
    I thought of you today when I wore a bright coral belt just to add a bit of colour to my Me Made outfit, lol. I thought, "Annabel will be pleased with me!"
    Px

    ReplyDelete
  6. Love that you did a simple black version, but with the brooch you definitely spice it up!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Wow all of you are so sweet with your comments!

    Cher - so glad you like the dress, I'll have to wear it when you come to visit. It is warming up quite a bit here, but I was stilled chilled while taking the pictures.

    Anna - thanks for the flattering words. Yes I did use a pattern. It is the Swing dress from Sense & Sensibility: http://sensibility.com/category/patterns/swing-era/
    It is also part of a sew along.

    Alex - you are so kind. This is only the second dress I have ever made, so I am sure you could make one. (Plus all of Casey's tips made it so much easier).

    Emer - So glad you agree about the broach. I never wear jewelry so incorporating into an outfit is a challenge for me. This dress made it easy.

    Portia - I'm delighted that you approve of my dress. Can't wait to see your outfit post for today - color suits you well.

    Jojo - Your compliment makes my day!

    ReplyDelete
  8. This came out great! I really like it in black! Charming!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Eva Girl - thank you for the joy your comment brings me!

    ReplyDelete
  10. It looks lovely! I love the classy look of the black.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Your dress is beautiful and the brooch is perfect! Well done!

    ReplyDelete
  12. Sereina - I appreciate praises.

    Laura - your sweet words have made me smile.

    ReplyDelete
  13. I love your dress. Its great seeing how fabric choice made all the dresses so different and so suited to each person. yours looks so pretty on you.

    ReplyDelete
  14. Renee - I agree with you how the fabric can really change the dress each person made. Your lovely words have added to my happy day.

    ReplyDelete
  15. This dress is stunning (as are you)! And all the pictures are too cute! :) The brooch is a great touch as well... Beautiful job! :)

    ♥ Casey

    ReplyDelete
  16. Casey - your words mean a lot to me since it is your work that inspired me to start sewing for myself. Thank you so much!

    ReplyDelete
  17. Great job on your swing dress. It looks beautiful on you. Nice self portraits too.

    ReplyDelete
  18. Susan thanks for appreciating my pictures. Your kind words about my dress are uplifting.

    ReplyDelete