Monday, April 25, 2011

Emma's Notions

Happy day everyone!  I know it has been a while since I posted on my blog - things have been a little busy.  Not to mention I've had a bit of a creative lull.

First of all over this past Easter, my little (um, 25 year old) sister got engaged!  I am so excited for her and I can't wait for the wedding.  I love that I am in that phase of life where people are getting engaged.  Engagements and weddings are always so much fun (and the perfect excuse to sew up something cute!)

Also over this weekend, my hubby and I spent Saturday with my father-in-law.  While visiting he had me go through a box of sewing stuff that belonged to his mother.  She was quite a seamstress when she was younger.

The first thing I found that delighted me were garter straps - how much fun is that?  I will be sure to come up with some sexy little project that makes my husband blush.  Included with the garters straps were tons of lace remnants - in every color.  Unfortunately, most of these were such small amounts, that I cannot imagine how they could be used, so if anyone has grand ideas I am all ears.


Then there were these. 

Can anyone tell me why a baby would need garters?
Emma's box of stuff also included snap fasteners, buttons and hook closures.


I was also really excited to see some lace that would be long enough to use on a hem.  And some belt buckles - I have been searching for these for a few months now with no luck, and now I have two that may work for my intended project.


The last goody I will share will you is some Dritz Tracing Paper and tracing wheel.  I had heard of them before but never seen them, so this will be fun to try out.


Although I mentioned that I was in a creative lull, there is a project that I am working on.  It's not the 1930's dress that I had wanted to work on from this post, but it is another 1930's project.  It's a blouse that has some really interesting sleeve details that I can't wait to show you.  My only hangup is that it is supposed to be a dress, but I found the perfect fabric for the project and there isn't enough to make an entire dress, so I'm converting it to a blouse.

Since the bodice and skirt attach at a point that is a little higher than the natural waist, I will have to do some altering to make in a wearable blouse.  I've tried a few ideas and am still trying to perfect the final outcome.  I may also wait until Portia's Draft Along and use ideas from there.

This lovely toffee colored silk (a remnant for $5 a yard!) is going to become my blouse.
I hope to have some crafting/knitting/sewing goodness to show you soon. 

Live the moment, love life!
Annabelle

6 comments:

  1. Baby garters- for the nappies/diapers :) You can use them to fasten them or hold them up.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh Annabelle, lucky you, very nice finds. The snaps will be useful for all kinds of projects. Sorry to hear about your lull. I am in one right now too, mostly because of decisions I need to make on a project. That silk is beautiful, it will be lovely on you. I am doing Portia draft along too, we should get some help on fitting. Hope to see your blouse soon! Good luck!

    ReplyDelete
  3. @Spinneretta

    Thanks Spinneretta! I had a feeling that's what they were for, but had never heard of anyone using them.

    ReplyDelete
  4. @Vintage Girl

    Gina, like you, my lulls are often due to decisions on the my projects. Usually it is related to finding the right fabric. Sometimes I just can't picture how I want it to look so it sits in "limbo" until I decide. Though, right now mine might be due to the fact that my husband is home a lot more now that his work has slowed down - so I choose spending time with him over sewing!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hey Annabelle
    Just stopping by to say hi. We're missing you out here in the blogosphere! Hope all is well with you and yours :)
    Px

    ReplyDelete
  6. @Miss P

    Portia, thank you so much for thinking of me. I'm doing well, just haven't had a lot of time for crafting or blogging. I promise to get back on track soon :)

    ReplyDelete