Tuesday, May 24, 2011

You Need to Know





You need to know about this brownie recipe!  (I know what you are thinking, a month without blogging and I return with a brownie recipe?)  Yes, I have taken quite a hiatus from blogging, but I'm not one for excuses - so let me get right to it. 


Although, just this week I have started some sewing - I am just in the muslin stage and don't quite have anything to show.  But I promise that there will be some progress and eventually some pictures for you.


With a desire to reconnect with all of my wonderful blog friends, I decided to share with you a recipe that I just love (after all, when I started my blog, I said that there would be some cooking).  And it has been so long since I shared a recipe - I think the last one was my homemade cottage cheese.


These brownies are absolutely delicious; I brought them into work twice recently and got rave reviews each time.  (During a conference call people were known to put the phone one mute just so they could ask for the pan of brownies to be passed their way . . .)


Wouldn't you want this deliciousness at your finger tips?
This is actually a combination of two recipes.  The first is a brownie recipe from a former co-worker.


Brownies
Ingredients:


  • 1 cup butter
  • 2 cups sugar
  • 4 eggs
  • 2 tsp vanilla
  • 1 tsp salt
  • 2/3 cup cocoa
  • 1 1/2 cups flour


Cream butter, sugar, eggs and vanilla.  Add dry ingredients.  Put in greased 13" x 9" glass pan.  Bake at 350 degrees F for 25 minutes.  Let cool.


Of course, once you have decided to indulge yourself with a pan of brownies, you need the icing on the cake . . . err . . . brownies.  This frosting recipe is one that I adapted from Annie's Eats (a delightful blog, especially if you are a fan of sweets.  (I believe I have mentioned that I am in a previous post).



Frosting



Ingredients:



  • 3 large egg whites
  • 1/2 cup sugar (granular)
  • pinch of salt
  • 1/2 lb. unsalted butter at room temperature
  • 2 tsp vanilla extract
  • 1/4 - 1/2 cup cocoa powder (depends on how chocolaty you like your frosting)
Combine the egg whites, sugar and salt in a heatproof bowl set over a pot of simmering water.  Heat, whisking frequently until the mixture reaches  160° F and the sugar has dissolved.  (I would like to add be sure to not let to mixture get too hot or sit at  160°  for too long.  I did this once and my frosting took on the  texture and consistency of Elmer's glue).

Transfer the mixture to the bowl of a stand mixture fitted with the whisk attachment (I'm sure you could do this without a stand mixture, but life is a lot easier if you have one).  Beat on medium-high speed until stiff peaks form and the mixture has cooled to room temperature.  Recipe says 8 minutes, but mine usually takes a little longer - so don't worry so much about the timing.

Reduce the speed to medium and add the butter, 2 tablespoons at a time, adding more once each addition has been incorporated.  Stir in vanilla and mix until just incorporated.  Add the cocoa powder a few tablespoons at a time (tasting every now-and-then until frosting reaches desired chocolatyness).




As a rule of thumb, I only make something like this if I intend to share it with a large group of people.  If I were to make this for the hubby and I - I would look like a whale.  I have little to no willpower to pass up a delicious dessert such as this.

Enjoy!

Live the moment, love life!
Annabelle




4 comments:

  1. ooo! Just the thing I needed. I wanted to make something chocolatey and I just couldn't figure out what to do. Thanks AB. I know what I am doing tonight... or maybe tomorrow, lets see if I can turn off the tv and get my rear in gear! haha. I'll let you know how they turn out. I am going to use special dark cocoa powder... lets hope it turns out. Keep your fingers crossed for me! :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Annabelle, You are killing me here, these looks so good. My son Alex (12) cooks all the brownies in our home. I stopped making them, because I will eat a whole pan in a day. I guess it's time to invite some friends over for brownies, share the love! thanks for the recipe, I am gonna try it! I have missed seeing your post, glad your back!!!!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Cherie - dark cocoa sounds divine! I would love to know how these turn for you, do keep me posted.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Gina - yes, make sure you invite some friends over, because these are so good that its hard to not eat the whole thing ;) It warms my hear to know that you enjoy my posts - I will do my best to have them more than once a month.

    ReplyDelete