Monday, June 6, 2011

A Little Sunnie



I finally have a showing project to share with you!  This past weekend I wore a little sun dress to my cousin's graduation party.  The pattern comes from a1940s Anne Adams slip, to which a made some alterations so it looks less like lingerie and more like something I could wear out.  (Even though there appears to be some trends towards wearing lingerie as clothing, I haven't quite bought my ticket on that bus yet).

Anne Adams pattern - what the slip should look like.

A close up of my invisible zipper on a fully lined dress.

Hubby and I went out to one of my favorite lakes near where I used to live to snap some photos.  We found a nice secluded spot.  As I was getting in the water, there was a dead sunnie just floating around.  I don't like touching live fish, but a dead fish is even more disturbing.  So a grabbed a stick to scoop him out of the way, so I wouldn't have to worry about him bumping against my legs as I stood in the water.  Hence the name, "a little sunnie".

poor little guy :(
Making the alterations to the back of this dress proved to be a little more work than I had anticipated, but I am happy with the final product.  I worked really hard to make this dress almost reversible.  Not that I plan to wear it inside out, but I wanted to have a really nice finish on this dress.  So it is lined with a white cotton voile (that I love) and has french seams along all visible edges.

You can see the start of some of my tan lines!


This dress just reminds me of summer, which makes me happy
 Part of what I love about this dress is that it will be the perfect thing to throw over my swim suit when I am on vacation this summer.  The dress can be worn either as a halter that ties in the back, a halter that buttons to the inside of the dress, strapless, criss-cross back or spaghetti straps.  The straps have buttons holes on them, and I sewed two little buttons to the front inside and back inside of the dress.










As a side note, I curled my hair in ringlets before taking these photos.  The humidity pretty much eliminated all of my work before I even got to the lake.  Welcome summer!

Live the moment, love life!
Annabelle


14 comments:

  1. I love this!! You are so stinkin' cute!!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Why thank you darling! (If you can tell I got the idea from my yellow dress that matches your purple one).

    ReplyDelete
  3. Very cute dress! I really like the tie-back. I'm thinking of doing something similar on a strapless dress I'm planning. Any tips? (found your blog via Burda)

    www.msjennyhomemaker.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hi Jennifer! Thanks for stopping by my blog. I have two tips for you in making a similar dress - make sure the bust part of the dress is well fitted and lined (if you want to go without a bra). Also, with an open back, I found that adding a small amount of fabric to the back sides (rather than having the front sides attached to nothing with just neat seam finishes) prevented the dress from creating a "looseness" along open area. Not sure if I am making sense, but I would be happy to clarify if need be.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Thanks for the tips!! I've never made a change like that to a pattern before so I'll certainly keep that in mind.

    ReplyDelete
  6. It was my first time making any adjustments, and I am very much a novice when it comes to sewing - so I am sure you will do just fine.

    ReplyDelete
  7. This just turned out lovely, I just used a piece of embroidered material to make a top. Your material makes me think of it. I stumbled onto your blog off Vintage Girl blog. Lovely dress.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Gina (of Vintage Girl) has a lovely blog, glad you found me through her. I shall have to check out your blog for that embroidered top!

    ReplyDelete
  9. I love your dress! That is amazing fabric - I love the color and embroidery, and you put it to the perfect use!

    ReplyDelete
  10. fluffysam so kind of you to say! (I had the fabric for about a year and was planing to make a top from it, I am much happier that it made its way to a dress).

    ReplyDelete
  11. I don't know if anyone has asked this question yet, but where did you find the embroidered fabric that you made the dress out of?
    Janet

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Jaytea, I bought the fabric at Joann's - it was in their red tag apparel clearance section. I don't think they would still have it, but I have seen other similar styles of fabric in the apparel section.

      Delete