Wednesday, July 20, 2011

Summer Sandwiches



I pack a lunch every day for work, so I am always looking to switch things up from the basic sandwich or salad (two of the easiest things to pack).  A recent favorite that has graced my lunch pail and attracted glances from fellow coworkers has been this recipe which I adapted from a Taste of Home magazine.

Since I like to make things a little healthier and I am always looking for excuses to add some of my favorite ingredients (avocado), my adaptation is . . . well better :)

Ingredients:
1-1/2 cups cubed cooked turkey breast (I like to have hubby grill mine)
1/2 cup thinly sliced celery
1/3 cup chopped dried apricots
1/4 cup chopped unsalted cashews
2 green onions, chopped
1/4 cup plain yogurt (I like to use Greek yogurt)
1 squirt of reduced-fat mayonnaise (so squirt is not a technical term, but I never measure the exact amount used)
1/2 an avocado (this can make the mixture have a brownish color the next day, so if the discoloration that  occurs from the avocado turns you off and you plan to keep this in the fridge for more than a day, use less or eliminate altogether)
1/8 teaspoon celery salt
1/4 teaspoon pepper

I start out by having hubby grill half a package of Jennie-O turkey breasts.  You could also use any boneless chicken - and the way you cook it is up to you.



Next, I mash up my avocado half and mix in the yogurt and mayonnaise squirt.  Add the celery salt and pepper to this mixture.  Set aside.



Then I chop up the remaining ingredients (turkey, celery, apricots, onions).  Leave the cashews for now.



In a larger bowl combine chopped ingredients (except for the cashews) and the avocado mixture.  If serving immediately, add the cashews.  Since the cashews can get soggy easily, I add them in right before I eat my lunch.

Serve between two slices of delicious bread. (I prefer Ezekiel since it is free of wheat gluten, but it is a personal preference).


For variety, you can substitute dried cranberries or cherries for the apricots (I've tried it and love it).  To be even healthier, add some green stuff - spinach works best, but other green-leaf lettuces also work.

Enjoy!

Live the moment, love life!
Annabelle

No comments:

Post a Comment