Monday, October 3, 2011

Sew Along Blues

I have always considered myself a creature of habit - really once something becomes a habit (even subconsciously) it is terrible difficult for me to change it.  So, it came as no surprise when I realized all of my sew along participations have resulted in a blue garment.  And do you want to know the worst of it, blue is not even my favorite color!

In case you need a refresher: there was Casey's Swing Dress Sew Along which resulted in a lovely navy blue dress.  Most people in the comments told me they liked my simple black dress, but really it is navy.  Perhaps wearing it with black shoes did not help matters (yes I know I shouldn't do that, but at the time I didn't have any other options).

Really, it's navy - if you see black, tilt your computer screen a little :)
Then Tasha's Briar Rose Knit Along produced a baby blue sweater.  To be honest, I like this color of blue the best, but I am still not overly eager to add blue to my closet.

Add to prove I do not need more blue, this is paired with a navy skirt.
Finally, Tasia's Lonsdale Sew Along gave me my blue Hawaii print dress.  Again, not a bad dress - but how did I unintentionally choose blue for everything?


So I was well aware of this fact as I started shopping for another one of Casey's sew alongs.  This time a circle skirt.  I actually picked up more than one bolt of blue fabric before reminding myself that I was in search of anything else (perhaps it's not just a habit, but rather the selection of the store?).  Not quite sure of what I wanted, I ended up in the suiting section.  Glancing at the fabrics I thought about how wool suiting wasn't exactly my first choice, but how wonderfully warm a wool skirt would be during winter in Minnesota!  Yes, this was the perfect choice.

In real life the thread matches quite a bit better.  The green ribbon was for the
interfacing.  At the time I bought it, I was hoping it would be visible, one of
Casey's recent posts reveals it won't be, which is fine.
I found this delightful grey plaid that had some green and blue running through it.  So I didn't avoid blue completely, but this grey neutral will be the perfect wardrobe staple.  I can't wait to see how this turns out.  I am a little behind, as with all sew alongs, and was hoping to finish on time.  Unfortunately, things got quite busy at work, so I don't think I will have any sewing time this week.

Here is a good close up of the fabric detail.
Speaking of sew alongs, have you heard that Anna of A Few Threads Loose is considering a lingerie sew along?  I am so on board with that.  I will surely be avoiding blue for that sew along . . .

Live the moment, love life!
Annabelle

2 comments:

  1. Ooh! A lingerie sew along sounds so fun! I love the fabric you chose (I live in New England and love a nice wool fabric for the cool weather :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. ConstantlyAlice, I am glad you approve of my fabric choice! The more I work with it, the more I am loving it. And now that Casey's extended the deadline, I will be able to finish the skirt on time. I am really hoping to do Anna's lingerie sew along - but I find that sew alongs sometimes distract me form other things that I truly want to accomplish.

    ReplyDelete