Saturday, October 8, 2011

This Ain't No Sock Hop


Please excuse the grammar of my title.  When I first thought about making a circle skirt for Casey's sew along, my mind went back to grade school and the sock hops my family attended at my elementary school.  I always wore a bright pink poodle skirt - complete with an applique poodle covered in cotton balls. I knew that I did not want my skirt to look like the skirt I wore as a child, it was after all a costume.


Of course, picking out my lovely wool fabric already elevated this skirt to a level above the last circle skirt that I owned.  Then there are all of the details that make this more than a circle with a piece of elastic through the middle.  I loved learning the lapped zipper method, it will definitely find it's way into a 1940's skirt that is on my list of things to sew this fall.  Using sewn-in interfacing, rather than fusible interfacing was another great tutorial that was included with the sew along.  This was also the first time I used a rolled hem, which just makes sense with a skirt like this.  Though I must say, my favorite thing to learn was the lapped zipper.



As I was finishing my skirt, I wasn't loving it.  It felt a little matronly - even my husband said it reminded him of something one of his teachers (who wasn't a young fashionista) used to wear.  Not the look I was going for.  But after shortening the length a bit, and pairing the skirt with a few cute pairs of shoes, I am starting to like it.



Interested in seeing a few more circle skirts?  Casey will be posting a circle skirt party on October 17th, make your way over to her blog to check them out.

This was my husband's favorite photo.  He took it just as I
finished pulling myself up on the deck railing.  I wonder
what he likes about it?
Live in this moment and love life!
Annabelle

16 comments:

  1. Love it! I love it with the black tank and the shoes. Super cute! I can see why your hubby likes that picture :) Can't wait to see it in person... and its not blue! Ok, not mostly blue! ;)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh Cherie, it warms my heart when you leave compliments on my blog. Isn't that last photo too funny - I almost didn't put it up, but it's worth the laugh.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love it! That material looks wonderful! It is much too polished to look like a costume. :) I love all the shoes too!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thank you Jennifer! I was really relieved to see that it turned out not looking like a costume. I had fun picking out the shoes too. I don't have a shoe fetish, but I only buy shoes that I absolutely love ;)

    ReplyDelete
  5. I love the second to the last photo where you are sitting on the steps with the skirt spread out around you - lovely. A circle skirt is on my (very long) list of things to make ...

    ReplyDelete
  6. You are so sweet Caroline. The second to last photo is one of my favorites as well. You should really make a circle skirt - they are so easy. Casey's sew along was very detailed, from drafting the skirt down to all of the detailed finishes.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Hi there, just saw your photo/post on Casey's blog and I have to tell you your skirt is wonderful. It is not matronly in any way, the pairings make it very current. Hope you make another, the look is great on you.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Your skirt is sooo pretty! I also saw you made it to Casey's Circle-Skirt Party! I love the styling with that pale blue cardigan.

    You have so many cute pairs of shoes, too! I'm thoroughly jealous, but in a good way. :)

    ReplyDelete
  9. celkalee, thank you for your sweet comment. After seeing all of the other skirts, I am very tempted to make another :)

    ReplyDelete
  10. @zilredloh

    Liz, I am flattered that like my skirt and the styling. I was really happy to make it to the Circle Skirt Party -which was only accomplished because she extended the deadline. Oh, and it is fun to create a bit of jealously with my little shoe collection - sorry I suckered you into that one :)

    ReplyDelete
  11. It looks awesome! I think anything can look matronly if it's paired with the wrong things, but you definitely don't look that way in these outfits! :) It's really cute. I think the color and print will be really versatile, too!

    ReplyDelete
  12. I've linked through from Casey's blog from the CS Party, I think yours is my favourite from her post. I love the fabric you've used and am so jealous! The fit is perfect and you look stunning! I think my fiance would love that last photo too - can't think why!! I'm beginning to wish I'd taken part now... I want a circle skirt!!

    ReplyDelete
  13. Tasha, thanks for the great insight. You are absolutely right about how you wear an outfit impacting the image you portray. Thanks for the sweet comment.

    ReplyDelete
  14. Hey Nikki, thanks for stopping by. I am delighted by genuine compliment. Casey is having another circle skirt party, if you work quickly I bet you can make it!

    ReplyDelete
  15. Adorable, hon! It came out wonderful :)

    ReplyDelete
  16. Thanks ConstantlyAlice! I'm thrilled that someone who loves wool is pleased with my efforts on this one :)

    ReplyDelete