Tuesday, November 15, 2011

Wanting Your Help Choosing a Fabulous Dress

Hello dear readers!  I feel like it has been forever since I last posted.  (Though it is far from my long stretch of absence during the beginning of this past summer).  Perhaps you thought I was basking in my own awesomeness or reflecting upon the greatness of my talent a la the Selfish Seamstress?  Most certainly not!  I assure you that I have not gone down that path.

In fact, I have felt the need to create a post, any post - so that my most recent entry is no longer the "look at me, I had fifteen seconds of fame" post.  That being said, I also didn't want to create a post just to ramble aimlessly.  This blog is not to become a place of meaningless chatter just to have my voice heard and I am far too thankful for your time to be waisting it with such.

So, I am coming to you seeking advice.  With my sewing I tend to get a quite distracted as my mind is constantly reflecting upon images and ideas that I hope to turn into finished garments.  So much so, that I often can't make a decision about what I want to sew next.  Looking ahead to this coming year, hubby and I have six weddings to attend, and many of these will include bridal showers and rehearsal dinners.  A girl needs to have a fancy new dress or two for such occasions, wouldn't you agree?  Will you help me to decide on a dress or two to make for all these weddings.  Most will be spring and summer occasions, so I am planning ahead a bit, but I don't want to be finishing the dress the morning of the wedding as I did with my first dress.

The first option is a modern Vogue pattern by designer Cynthia Steffe.  This was actually the first pattern I bought and was planning on using it to make my first dress a little over a year ago.  I think this would have forever ruined sewing for me, so I'm glad I went with the much easier McCall's pattern.  But with a year of sewing underway, and the knowledge of available resources, I think I am ready to tackle this one.

Love the pockets!
Next up is a 1940's mail order from The American Weekly.  At first glance this may appear to rather ho-hum and not something one would wear to a wedding.  However, notice the open back and consider what it may look like sleeveless and in a brightly colored sassy fabric.  (You're liking it a bit more, right?)

Not sure if I would use the bow or not.
Going along with the idea of an open back, I am coveting Tasia's Vogue 1116!  I don't own this pattern (yet), but think it would make a fabulous dress for a special event.  I love how she used a bright and cheerful fabric, I have trouble finding anything like this.


Lastly, I have the two 1950's patterns I picked up at a thrift shop.  I'm thinking about making the strapless one and omitting the bolero.  But I also like the idea of dresses with the cap sleeves.  These would require making a crinoline and some serious pattern grading (even petite little me does not have a  31 1/2 inch bust - and of course the waist would be even more of an issue)


Oh so many choices - and I even eliminated one based solely on the fact that I was too lazy to scan it in.  So, my fellow sewists and anyone else who wants to put in their two cents, what are your thoughts?  Which of these patterns is a sure win for an wedding ensemble?  Do you have ideas for fabrics or colors?  Your input would mean so much to me.

Live in this moment and love life!
Annabe

15 comments:

  1. I have the first pattern you listed (the Cynthia Steffe) and would love to see your interpretation of it!

    ReplyDelete
  2. The first one kinda reminds me of Gertie's Bombshell dress, at least in the bodice! I think a fuller skirt would look amazing with it and pockets are always good.
    I also really like your two 50's dresses, particularly 2491, but then I really like the neckline!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Yes, a bombshell dress, I like it vickikatemakes! It would be fabulous to be a bombshell for a day, can a dress do that for me? I am with you on the 50's dresses as well - they would be quite fun to sew up.

    ReplyDelete
  4. ConstantlyAlice, since you asked for it, I think I will sew up that Cynthia Steffe number! It's going to be a bit of a challenge, but I might be up for it.

    ReplyDelete
  5. You definitely need to do the Cynthia Steffe number! I'm in love wth that strapless neckline... and then you need to blog all about so I can give it a go. I would go with a vintage floral print too.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Annabelle, You won the skirt at thinkinginshapes.com! Congratulations. Feel free to email me, so we can work out the details: ladydanburry@hotmail.com.

    PS. I love the colors on this dress you made.

    ReplyDelete
  7. ooh, i don't know if I will be much help. I love the full-skirted loveliness of the next to the last one - but maybe over the top for some weddings? The last one is a little more demure - I like the v-neck on the little picture in yellow.

    Tasia's of course is a winner because we've seen it on a real person, and it could be fairly versatile in real life.

    Personally I am not such a fan of strapless for myself because of the fear of wardrobe malfunction, but that could be fun.

    I love the American weekly neckline , the open back, the cap sleeve cut in one piece with the bodice (kind of like the last one) without the kitchy rick-rack and embroidery of course. It will be fun to see what you comeup with!!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Anna Depew, thank you so much for your comment. I love that it seems the Cynthia Steffe dress is the unanimous choice - and your vote adds to the credibility. I really like your idea of looking for a vintage floral print.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Ha, Caroline - I think you cast a vote for just about all of the dresses. Isn't is it tough to narrow down your next project? I like that advice on the versatility of Tasia'd dress, and it's important to consider that the full skirt could be over-the-top for a wedding (I don't need to be steeling any bride's spotlight). Thanks for your thoughts.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Yep, the Cynthia Steffe dress is lovely and definitely wedding proof. Pockets are always a good thing!

    On the other hand, I love anything 50s, fitted bodice and BIG full skirt! The last two Simplicity patterns spring to mind...

    ReplyDelete
  11. Thanks Nikki! It's been to see that everyone is liking Ms. Cynthia Steffe - and I love the pockets. I agree with you on the 50's style - maybe I should still plan to make one of them up and just find another occasion to wear it?

    ReplyDelete
  12. I like them all too! I can agree, though, that a full skirt might be just a bit too much for a wedding (though, maybe suitable for a more playful bridal shower?). I'll add to the vote for the Cynthia Steffe. I think it would look great! Especially in a pretty vintage fabric, as suggested, and you have plenty of time to browse stores or Etsy to find just the right one.

    ReplyDelete
  13. I'll jump on the bandwagon and go for the Cynthia Steffe too. Although I do think that the American Weekly dress would be great for another occasion.

    ReplyDelete
  14. Hey Jennifer, I love the idea of making up the 1950's dress for one of the bridal showers - I wouldn't have thought of that! Yay for the Cynthia Steffe dress :)

    ReplyDelete
  15. Hi fredericaknits,thanks for stopping by my blog! I'm glad you're somewhat partial to the American Weekly dress, I hope I can find the right occasion to make it up.

    ReplyDelete