Monday, January 30, 2012

Anne Adams Slip

With such shear fabric, I felt my dress form needed to
model this one.  Doesn't leave much to the imagination!
A while back, I decided I really wanted to make a 1940's style slip to wear under my swing dress.  Since the dress was unlined (as was common in the 40's), I thought it would be nice to have a slip to go with it.  Not long after I decided this, I found the perfect pattern for my slip.  But instead of using it sew up a slip, I sewed up a sundress.  

Pattern used (with the fabric used to make my sundress)
Not having just the right fabric had held me back from sewing the slip I wanted.  Do any of you ever have a great pattern in your stash, but just can't find an equally great, deserving fabric for the task?  This happens to me quite often, but eventually I find what I am looking for.


For this particular project, I was looking for an affordable piece of silk in a nude color.  I wanted to make a very basic slip that could go under just about anything.  If you've been reading my blog since November, you know that I found that perfect piece of silk.  After taking the time to properly wash it, I even found a way to share the precious yardage with another project.


A apologize for the boring photos here - beige walls, nude slip and natural dress form.  My next project with have some more color, for now this suits what I was looking to accomplish.  I'm even thinking this will be a great piece to go under the jumper that I am knitting up.

View of the side placket where I used snap fasteners to hold it closed.
Some of my vintage snap fasteners were used for the side placket.  I'm really please with the way this turned out, it looks almost as good as an invisible zipper.  I also added snap fasteners to the straps to make it even easier to get in and out of.

Close up of the strap and the snap fastener used.
And just because I can't have a post with only impersonal dress form photos, here I am wearing my new slip underneath my swing dress :)


Live in this moment and love life!
Annabelle

10 comments:

  1. It is GORGEOUS! I can understand why you didn't want to model it, it looks light as air and must be a joy to wear.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Vicki! I am so happy to finally have this staple in my wardrobe.

      Delete
  2. It looks perfect! What a lovely, versatile piece. Those snaps were I great idea - I must remember that when I get around to making one.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Jennifer! Yes, the snaps are great, they make is so easy to get in and out, yet it is less bulky than a zipper.

      Delete
  3. Annabelle, that last photo cracked me up. Too Cute! Your slip is beautiful. You did a wonderful job on it. It looks perfect!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh Gina, I had fun with that last photo too. I usually try to engage hubby in some way taking photos for my blog - this one did get an eye roll as he didn't quite understand the concept of only showing part of the slip. I am glad you like the slip - it is something I have wanted for a while so I am really glad to have it in my wardrobe.

      Delete
  4. I'm a slip-wearer too. A silk slip sounds so luxurious.... I bet you will get a ton of use from it! Mine are all worn and stained ... filing this idea away (I have a bias cut simple dress pattern that might work for a slip ... )

    ReplyDelete
  5. If your dress pattern doesn't work out, I may have some free patterns on my blog from my German Pattern Experiment. I know you are not into vintage, but a simple slip pattern is fairly universal.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Pretty! I have two poly slips I bought this winter, because I hated the way my unlined dresses stuck to my tights. I have been thinking about making a silk slip, though. That pattern looks lovely!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I love having a slip - a few years back I thought it was something old ladies wore, but now I think they are a bit glamorous. I would love to see your slip if you decide to make one. There are a few in my German pattern magazines, and I hope to convert at least on to a PDF.

      Delete