Wednesday, January 18, 2012

German Pattern Experiment: Day 3

I want to thank everyone who has left comments on my last post.  I am going to try really hard to make PDFs of the patterns that you call out.  Today you will have another chance of looking through the patterns, this time from my May 1936 issue.

Like the December issue, the May issue starts out with some lingerie and sleep wear.  There are a lot of feminine details like bows, lace and embroidery.  The second half of the patterns are beach wear; I love the way scenes are set up.  Take a peak and let me know if anything catches your fancy.

Nightgowns and slips.

More nightgowns.  I think that 15119 looks like a cami that you or I would wear today.

While the top right (15122) pair of pajamas looks cute, 15121 just looks odd.

More pajamas.

One of my favorite outfits of the two magazines is the top left of this page.  It is an overalls type pants with a short sleeve jacket.  I think it looks equally great with or without the jacket.  I'm not sure if I would make it in ankle length or the shorter length.

Why is it that men's wear just seems odd?

Awe, isn't the little chunker in the middle too adorable?

I guess there was a time when people wore robes to the beach?

The dress at bottom right is another one of my favorites.  I probably wouldn't make the cape, but I love the pockets and side buttons.

This is just bad birth control.  I want a bunch of little girls so I can dress them up like this.
That's the last of the pattern pages I have for you.  I think we have plenty of patterns to choose from going forward with this experiment.  My next installments will hopefully start to have a bit more substance to them.  I'm still wrestling with how to approach that actual patterns, but I've got some ideas.

Have any of the images here inspired you to sew something?  What do you think of the family-style approach with this magazine?  I know today that we can buy patterns for the whole family, but I feel like more often books (or magazines) are made with a target gender and age in mind - which would be mostly women.

Live in this moment and love life!
Annabelle

6 comments:

  1. I love the family style approach, though it does make me want to force my kids to wear cute clothes :)

    All the outfits in the second from last image are great. The cute back detail of the top right and the cut of the one on the top left, just adorable.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks Brandy! Totally agree with you on the second to last scan - such great details. It really makes me long for summer, even though winter will be here for some time.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Just catching up - you've been busy! These are such great scans! Thanks for sharing them! Now I really want to make pretty night gowns. If only one of the local stores would start carrying silk. I do also like that men's and little ones patterns were included. Unfortunately, men's patterns are just so limited today. Sleepwear patterns still commonly offer men's, women's and kid's but they're so plain. These look more fun (even if some are a bit odd!)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Such a bummer that your stores do not carry silk, there is an abundance of it at my local shop. I buy more of it than I need, but find myself wanting to still make things up in cotton since it is in general easier to care for. I find the family concept of these magazines interesting as well, the only reason I can give for why men's patterns are more scarce now-a-days is that sewing has faded in general. Though it is making a come back, the monopoly seems to be women sewing for themselves. Maybe if we continue to see a growth in sewing, there will be more offerings . . .

    ReplyDelete
  5. So interesting! It seems like the kid stuff in the vintage magazines might actually have more construction to them, more like adult patterns, while it seems most kids stuff now is pretty simplistic. But that just might b e me! I still like the nightgowns in the top two ....

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I agree that the kid's stuff is really cute and looks like there's more to it than modern children's clothing.

      Delete