Thursday, February 23, 2012

1912 Project

I think some of you may already know that I signed up to participate in the 1912 Project.  As part of a remembrance of the 100 year anniversary of the sinking of the Titanic, the Vintage Pattern Lending Library is taking on a huge project: the scanning and digitizing of the patterns and magazines of La Mode Illustree - once France's foremost publication of fashion of the era.


Though I have dabbled a bit in vintage sewing, I am by no means an expert.  And costume sewing, or historical sewing is really not my thing, however I love learning about history.  So why not learn about some of the fun things like fashion?

We have been divided up into groups according to location and interests in sewing men's, women's or children's clothing.  I am in Group 7 and will be sewing up women's clothing.  I signed up for the February challenge pattern, since nothing had come my way yet as far as my group's pattern was concerned.  Well, they both arrived on the same weekend, and now I have to choose which one I want to sew.

Luckily, they both fall into the same category.  Group 7's project for the month of February is a corset cover.  I actually think it would make a cute summertime blouse if altered a bit.  I do love the idea of a sleeveless blouse that buttons up the front.


The February challenge pattern is a gorgeous princess seam slip.  I have to admit, when I first saw this image, I absolutely knew that I wanted to sew it up.  I love the lace details and the very feminine shape from the princess seams.  Even I if choose not to sew it up as part of the February project, I will sew it up in the future.  Don't you think it would make a stunning dress if it were altered to hit just above the knee?


Of course I am terrible at making decisions, and already quite over-committed with all of the sew alongs that I have signed myself up for.  Not to mention some pattern testing for another blogger and the list of things that I want to sew from my existing pattern/fabric stash.  But that's half the fun right, the fact that we never have an opportunity to be bored?

I would love to hear if you have any input on which of these I should sew up.  Or any alterations you would make to them for more modern wear.  And you are always welcome to tell me about how you have over-committed yourself with sewing projects.

Live in this moment and love life!
Annabelle



14 comments:

  1. ooohhh! How fun! I haven't gotten my pattern yet! Anxiously waiting to see what it will be :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I can't wait to see what you make once you get your pattern ;)

      Delete
  2. I love them both! I'm quite the sucker for slips at the moment but, I imagine the corset cover would be a much quicker make and easier to fit among your endless list of to-dos. I agree it would make a very cute blouse too. Can't wait to see whichever you choose!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Right now I'm leaning towards the blouse/corset cover due to time restraints, so I can still keep my super long list of projects. I'm glad you think it will make a great blouse too.

      Delete
  3. I love the second one the most I think. I'd maybe bring the pleats up so they start at the waist, or do a dropped waist and start them from there, ending at knee height? It could be a really fun, spring or summer dress! What ever you make, I know it'll be gorgeous!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, I agree, I love the slip the most. And would do exactly as you have suggested, with a dropped waist and having the pleats end at knee height. If only there was more time to sew :)

      Delete
  4. I tried to look for your e-mail in your Blogger profile but could not find it. I probably am not looking in the correct place. I am fairly certain mine is listed in my profile. Could you please send me a personal e-mail?
    TIA, Linda

    ReplyDelete
  5. Oh, I have so many projects I want to do and for everyone I do I add 2 or 3 more to the queue...! frustrating for sure :) I love them both. Gosh. For me I would sew the sleeveless blouse because I live somewhere where it is hot 8 months of the year and I can see that paired with shorts or a high waisted pencil skirt and I might actually wear it a lot. But the slip is gorgeous too!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I think I am leaning towards the sleeveless blouse as well! Now I just need to find the time :)

      Delete
  6. My personal "to-sew" pile is always HUGE and never seems to shrink - just gets bigger! I say, sew the one you have all the supplies for already. =)

    That's what I'm trying to do with the project - use the stash of things I already have. And I think both patterns can be translated to modern-wear quite well.

    Happy sewing!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Sew the one I have supplies for - that is great advice! In which case, it should really be the blouse as I do not have yards and yards of lace needed for the slip :)

      Delete
  7. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Try again! I know you've already been awarded it before, but you were first on my list when I was given the Liebster Blog Award!
      http://vickikatemakes.wordpress.com/2012/02/28/liebster-blog-award-pour-moi/

      Delete
    2. How sweet of you - I accept the award :)

      Delete