Tuesday, March 13, 2012

Ooh La La - The Sunday School Teacher!

I finally finished my corset for Anna's sew along!  First of all, I think this project of mine really helps to dispel the myth that cotton simply cannot be sexy.  (Trust me, I was in the same camp and thought there was no way that cotton could make anything with a bit of va-va voom).  Well, in case you are still in disbelief, I give you exhibit A:


Do you recognize the cotton fabric?  Yes, it is leftover from this project.  My initial plan was to make this up in some lovely green silk from my stash that I bought specifically for this project, but while making my muslin I discovered that I do not have the figure of a 1950's french pin-up girl.  After getting over my disappointment that I am shaped more like a stack of thin mints than an hour glass, I decided it was best to make a super fabulous wearable muslin before using my precious silk fabric.  So I rummaged through my scraps and found some suitable fabric.  Since this is a really lightweight fabric, I stabilized it with some bamboo cotton (one of my favorite fabrics).


As I played around with this corset, I first made it so that it fit nicely like a pair of high-waisted pants. Then I thought to myself that if if fits like this, it will actually add bulk underneath my dresses and this simply will not do!  So I redid a few seams and pulled everything in about an inch.  Ooh wee!  (This is my favorite expression instead of four letter words).  I know I just told you that I am shaped more like a stack of thin mints than an hour glass, but with this corset on - no one knows the better.  It just pulled my waist right in, and there is no way this thing will be sliding down - meaning my stockings will be staying up all day (not like my earlier experience).


Maybe some of you are wondering about the title of this post?  Well, yes, I am a Sunday School teacher (in my free time) and was originally planning for the first outing of this corset to be at Sunday School - with plenty of other clothing on as well.  Unfortunately lesson planning got in the way of sewing, so I've taken some pictures today for my post, but will surely be wearing this next Sunday.


This was such a fun project to work on.  Do you ever have any projects where with each step you get more and more excited to see the final product?  This was really one of those projects for me.  I had no idea that it would all come together an make me sew excited to sew another.  (I think I need one for every outfit I own).


Pretty much the only detail I skipped was adding the rosettes.  While I really liked what they did for Anna's corset, I thought they would compete too much with the print of the fabric.  I opted instead to just add some bows near the garter clips.  These garter clips are actually from my hubby's grandma, so I feel a little strange wearing them but they are quite vintage.


If you haven't had enough, there are a few more photos on my flicker.

Live in this moment and love life ;)
Annabelle


P.S. I leave you with a terribly scandalous photo:

26 comments:

  1. I LOVE corsets!! I have a small collection going on, and have been planning to make one forever!! I too, have very little discernible waistline but a corset makes me feel like a right pinup!! :)

    I love your colour combo and the little garters; lovely! I bet it's a dream to wear :)

    And I totally think cotton can be sexy - it's not WHAT you wear; it's how you work it ;)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. This is the first time I have worn a corset and I am loving it too! It is great to feel like I have a waist. Thanks for the compliments :)

      Delete
  2. Wow! Double WOW! Annabelle this is beautiful! It looks like you bought it from some fancy boutique. Your stitching looks so refine and the whole piece is just lovely.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh thank you Gina! That is quite the compliment. I had no idea this could come out looking so fancy and I appreciate your words.

      Delete
  3. It's so cute! I bought the patterns after seeing the sew-along but haven't started on mine yet, I love the satin+cotton combination, I may do that as well now that I've seen yours!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks! Yes the satin and cotton yielded surprisingly elegant results, and I recommend it for a first round of this pattern. I would love to see yours once it is finished.

      Delete
  4. It turned out very cute! I'm liking the cotton idea...especially as I think of a stifling summer. Cotton would not get as sweaty. I know, gross. I have to think that way!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I didn't expect to see the word "gross" in the comment section of this project, but I appreciate your ability to think practically. I'm thinking I won't get too sweaty wearing this, unless I start thinking about how hot I look ;)

      Delete
  5. **wolf whistles** ;) It looks great :) I am glad the cotton looks so lovely, because mine will be too. After I have finished with my muslin. *sigh*.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh my, thanks! Once you get your muslin worked out, it really does go quickly. That's the beauty of lingerie, there's not a lot of fabric so it doesn't take forever. I'm looking forward to seeing yours as well.

      Delete
  6. I think the cotton is a really great choice! Not every girl pranced around in silk corsets back in the day, most were actually made of cotton with a little lace thrown on for a more feminine touch. The lasted longer, were stronger, easier to launder, and definitely breathed better under layers of skirt and petticoat.
    I think yours is just perfect!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Anna! I am seriously in love with this pattern and will have to make a few more. This is no doubt this is the sexiest thing I have made ;)

      Delete
  7. This is lovely, Annabelle. That fabric is just gorgeous!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Danielle! I figured you would approve as this fits in nicely with your love for pin-up style.

      Delete
  8. Wow! This looks fantastic! Way to show that cotton can be sexy! Hooray also for properly functioning lingerie ;-) I really must buy this pattern... oh where will my queue end? hehe

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes Jennifer, just like I need your fabulous dress pattern, you need this pattern. It was super cheap and sewed up quite easily. Ahh, the never ending queue . . .

      Delete
  9. It is absolutely gorgeous! Well done you!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Vicki! This is one of the most fun things I've sewed yet :)

      Delete
  10. This is an impressive make - well done! I would never have though of using a patterned fabric but it looks so lovely.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Such sweet words, thank you Kestrel! The fabric was sort of a happy accident for me, so I was surpised that I liked it too.

      Delete
  11. oooh, i like this! so pretty... He he, your comment about no more wardrobe accidents made me laugh...

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Caroline, it's so fun to read you compliment. I love the unexpected "pretty" that came from this pattern.

      Delete
  12. You are too cute! :) Scandalous... you make me giggle. :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I knew that of all people, you would appreciate that ;) I need to start sewing stuff that I don't mind posting pictures of myself in.

      Delete
  13. Well that is just as cute as it can be! I think the fabric looks great in it you used.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks. It is a fun piece to have - I think the fabric gives it more personality.

      Delete