Wednesday, April 4, 2012

What Happened to the German Pattern Experiment?

It has been quite some time since I had my last German Pattern Experiment post, and some of you may be wondering what happened to this series.  After all, it showed up out of no where like a thief in the night and as quickly as it came, it was gone.


So what happened?  Life got in the way a bit.  I love the idea of sewing everything out of my German pattern magazines, but I found myself at a point where there were a few more practical things that I wanted to make for myself.  In addition, there were some fantastic sew alongs that I just had to participate in.  Since you already know that I am pretty slow when it comes to sewing, it is easy to see how this project of mine quickly fell to the back burner.


My first solution was to ask my hubby if it could quit my job for just one year.  That way I could sew like crazy and just get it all out of my system.  He gave me this look like I had just asked if he thought I was capable of solving world hunger . . . today.  (In case you can't picture it, he somehow got his face to say "you've absolutely got to be kidding" and "definitely not happening" all at once).  I tried, and I was thinking of all of you - truly.


If you are interested in the future of my German Pattern Experiment, rest assured that it is not over!  I will dabble in it a bit more this year and I will be converting more of the patterns into free patterns for you fabulous readers.  It's not a priority right now, but I will do more with it this year.

Thanks for your patience with this!  Many of you who speak German have left comments saying you are willing to help with translating instructions if I need it, so I may be asking for your help.

Live in this moment and love life!
Annabelle

12 comments:

  1. I've pitched the same (stop working and devote my time to thrifting/sewing/painting) idea to my husband and received a remarkably similar reaction ;)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Haha - it's a strange face isn't it? Oh well, at least I enjoy my job - so it doesn't make it too terrible. But it sure would be fun to have more time for sewing and other hobbies.

      Delete
  2. I can't speak for everyone else but I'm just as interested in your 'everyday' sewing and regular posts as I am in your German pattern experiment. Whenever you get around to it is fine, as a sporadic blogger myself I totally get that sometimes life just gets in the way. And sometimes that's far more interesting than what you had planned!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Tors, that was such a sweet comment, I really appreciated reading that this morning! Thank you :)

      Delete
  3. Life certainly has a way of doing that. Really, I think anyone who finds time to sew regularly while working full-time is quite impressive! (I think I only made some very basic throw pillows and half a dress in the year+ I worked, after learning to sew.)

    It makes perfect sense that you'd work on more practical items first and I agree with Tors - I'm just as interested in seeing those projects! :-)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Jennifer, thank you - I would have never thought I was "impressive", so your comment has just about put me on cloud 9. Thanks!

      Delete
  4. Goodness, taking the year off isn't as fun as it sounds. Living in Norway sortof forced me to take the year off and now I find that taking care of the house gets in the way of sewing, and so does blogging and pattern design... at least I had time for the sew-along.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh, I know - the grass is always greener on the other side, right? I'm so glad you managed time for your sew along, they are great and I hope there are more to come.

      Delete
  5. Glad to hear your good idea didn't disappear entirely, and at least we all can look forward to some German pattern posts in the future. As long as you're still sewing something, right?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. No, it has not disappeared entirely, just on hold. And YES, you can look forward to some more German pattern posts :) I hope to have some completed sewing projects to post soon!

      Delete
  6. Somehow even NOT having a job (outside the home) doesn't result in loads of sewing time ... life gets in the way no matter the circumstances I think. I like to see whatever is interesting to the sewing bloggers I'm reading. I don't care if they divert from the annual plan (I always do!! I always get distracted after the first project on my list and they get rearranged after that!) or even if they didn't have an annual plan to begin with ...

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. What a well grounded response Caroline. Thanks for bringing more perspective. I agree that it is hard to stick to a list - especially with all of the awesome inspiration on the blogsphere .

      Delete