Wednesday, May 2, 2012

Palette Challenge - My Pretty Plans!

After browsing through both my fabric and pattern stash, I've made my selections and I am really excited about them.  For my first dress (or at least the one that I am most giddy about) is a vintage 1960's pattern that I snagged for $0.50 (even cheaper than it originally sold for) at an antique shop.  I am going to make version 2 as a sleeveless dress.


The fabric has been in my stash for quite some time and I have been saving it make something that I will love.  It is Lisette fabric and sure was a lucky find.  Right about the time I was completely ready to give up on Joann's altogether, I was there to pick up a few $1.00 patterns and this fabric caught my eye.  I try not to buy fabric from Joann's because I can find nicer quality and cheaper fabric at my favorite shop, but the gorgeous floral colors had my attention and it certainly was a quality fabric - so price was my only concern.  When I brought this fabric to the cutting counter I was informed that it had flaws and would be sold at 75% off the already discounted price.  So $6.47 later, I had 2.5 yards of this gorgeous fabric.  (The flaws by the way are really small and will be easy to cut around).  And now I believe in Joann's again.  Plus I am going to have a super cute dress.


I've also had my eye on Tasia's version of Vogue 1161.  To be honest, every time I saw this pattern I thought "ugh, so not cute" and then I learned that this was the pattern Tasia used and I was suddenly in love with the pattern. Isn't that funny how the pattern cover can be a complete turn off, then we see someone else make this pattern up and it becomes the holy grail of patterns?  I am planning to use a pretty floral rayon to make this dress.  Perfect for summer and hitting the dance floor at some June weddings.



And last on my list is a Butterick re-release of 5605.  I love the bow ties in the back and think this will make a fun 1950's style dress.  If I am really productive, I would love to have this dress finished in time to wear to a Back to the 50's event this June.



This is the only fabric that did not come from my stash.  While I was at the fabric store looking for some duck cloth to make bean bags for my dad, my eyes caught a glance of this green and white floral fabric in a dainty cotton lawn.  First thought: how strange to find this cotton lawn in the aisle with duck cloth . . . oops I had "accidentally" wandered into the apparel cottons.  Second thought: this reminds me a bit of a gorgeous image I saw of Grace Kelly on a Va-Voom Vintage post.  Since I had a pattern that would work and this fabric that magically appeared before me, I felt it was fate.  I bought some generous yardage with the hope of making a dress similar to the one from Brittany's blog post (also included in my mood board).


These plans pretty much make me smile.  The fabrics are gorgeous and the patterns have a lot of potential.  I hope I can find the time to bring these plans to fruition and enjoy frolicking around in some lovely dresses this summer.

What do you think?  Have any of these plans peaked your interest?  What sewing plans on your list are you most excited about?

Live in this moment and love life!
Annabelle




10 comments:

  1. I'm hoping to have a summer of (floral sun-)dresses once summer gets going in earnest - I've got loads of patterns and an addiction to floral prints. So I love all of these. he he ... "Wandered into the apparel cottons ..." I find this happens to me a lot too...

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I know my fabric shop better than I know my own house, so wondering into the apparel cottons is never truly an "accident" - he he. I am really excited to see your summer sewing too.

      Delete
  2. I'm so glad you're doing some sweet feminine dresses - I can live vicariously through you! I look so ridiculous in prints like this, but they are so pretty to look at - can't wait to see what you come up with! :D

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Symon, I just found your comment now, it went to my spam :( Anyway, I'm delighted to hear you like my plans. I have to admit this is sort of new territory for me - most of my sewing has been solid colors or subtle prints - so these bolder floral prints are quite different. I bet you could pull of the right print - I decided to give them a try after trying on a floral RTW dress that I fell in love with. However, I did not fall in love with the price tag - so I will be making my own.

      Delete
  3. I have that retro Butterick pattern too. =) I love your fabrics - especially the green and blue one! They will be great summer dresses!

    Have you ever noticed that they reissue patterns a few seasons later if the original art/photo on the front doesn't sell? You have to be careful not to be too influenced by the fabric choices on the front. (I prefer looking at the line drawings of the seams on the instruction sheets. That's partly why I know they reissue things, hehe.) When I sew for clients who bring me a pattern, they almost always bring me fabric that matches the cover of the pattern.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Brooke. I haven't ever noticed that patterns get reissued a few seasons later - but that's probably because I am still pretty new to sewing and don't buy a lot of new patterns. However, now that you have pointed it out, I will be on the lookout for it. So interesting.

      Delete
  4. Ooo, these are going to be just lovely! I love all of the fabrics! In fact, I was just admiring that first one at JoAnn's last weekend but, my queue is already too long. How lucky that you have one of the friendly JoAnn's and were able to get such a good deal. (Mine won't cut around flaws or give discounts for it.) I think I'm most excited to see your Grace Kelly dress though. The inspiration and pattern are so elegant!

    As for my list, I can't wait to get to my 1940s floral blouse and the skirt I've added to go with it.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I am feeling really lucky about the discounted fabric - especially since the employee pointed out the flaw and initiated the discount. I would have otherwise just bought the fabric and discovered the flaw later at home. That's now two people who are excited about the Grace Kelly inspired dress, I better make sure to make that one up.

      I'm really excited to see your 1940's blouse and skirt. Is it for a Sew Weekly theme, or just something you really want to make?

      Delete
  5. Great plans! I'm in love with your floral fabrics, especially the green one. So pretty!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Alessa! It's funny to see that everyone is especially excited about the green dress.

      Delete