Friday, May 18, 2012

Pretty Feminine


I am so happy to be finally posting my first dress from my Spring Palette Challenge.  I've had some very busy weeks and feel like I have been working on this dress in 15-20 minute increments, but it is done.  I got up extra early on Sunday to finish the hand sewing on the hem and facings.  I was literally just tying the last knot when hubby darling mentioned that we needed to leave NOW or we would be late.


Out of all things that I have sewn since I started about a year and a half ago, this is my absolute favorite so far!  I don't know if this is conceited, but I just feel pretty in this dress - and it is so darn comfortable.  I think I need at least one more of these in my closet.

Lapped zipper that I am quite proud of.
If you remember from my mood board and planning post, this dress was a bit inspired by some of the fashions I've seen in Mad Men (I've only just started season three).  I wouldn't say this is reflective of any character in particular, just the time period.


The pattern said that the dress could be finished with a ribbon, self made belt or purchased belt.  For these photos I chose to tie two different ribbons around my waist, as well as leave the dress plain.  As I wore the dress to work this week, I added a skinny black belt.  I like using these different accessories to change the look.  I likely won't wear the ribbon when I wear it to work, as that may be too sweet or youthful for an office - but that doesn't mean they won't make an appearance on the weekends.


Since this pattern was made for someone quite a bit smaller than me, I spent a considerable amount of time making a few muslins to get just the right fit.  Which was totally worth it because I love this dress.


Live in this moment and love life!
Annabelle

24 comments:

  1. Oh Annabelle this is BEAUTIFUL!!! I love the print and it's so light and happy! Like you said you need more of them. You got the fit spot on! I was cracking up seeing you hanging in the tree, what cute pictures!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Gina, I am so glad you liked the pictures of me hanging from the tree ;) As a kid I used to do that sort of stuff all the time (even in a dress), I can tell you it is much harder as an adult. Holding up my own body weight is not as easy as it used to be.

      Delete
  2. Oh, this is just so lovely! You have every right to feel pretty in this dress! You look wonderful! I agree, you do need more of these. Very well done. Your photos are adorable as well.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Jennifer! I think this the shift dress for me, like the one you made that was perfect for you.

      Delete
  3. Very well done. You should feel pretty in it; it suits you so well.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Awe, it makes me happy to have you say such nice things.

      Delete
  4. I love it! And I really like the idea of using different belts to create different looks--gives it a good dose of versatility.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yeah, I would have never thought to add different belts (mostly because I am terrible with accessorizing), but I liked being able to change the look of the dress.

      Delete
  5. Beautiful dress! Gorgeous print! You look very pretty.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Lynn, I'm blushing at your comment.

      Delete
  6. It's awesome to see that it is indeed possible to make a perfectly fitting dress from a ridiculously tiny vintage pattern (because I have a lot of them!) LOL :) That aside, this is such a pretty and feminine dress, and it's obvious you feel amazing in it because you LOOK amazing and your confidence and happiness are just making it look that much better ^___^

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Symon, you are always so sweet and generous with your words! Thank you.

      And you should give pattern grading a try, it wasn't that difficult. I had been hanging onto this pattern for over a year because I was afraid that it would be impossible to grade it up to my size. In the end, it wasn't that bad.

      Delete
    2. Oh yes, I definitely plan to!! I haven't held back from buying vintage patterns in the wrong size because I feel confident I can figure out how to do it - I'm becoming a daft hand at doing pattern adjustments now! LOL; however sometimes I can be overconfident when it comes to doing new things so it's good to know it's as do-able as I imagined ^___^

      Delete
  7. absolutely gorgeous!! yay for new spring dresses!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, yay for new spring dresses :)

      Delete
  8. Well, you know I love flowers! and this is absolutely gorgeous. I really like the result with the lapped zipper. And how did you do up your hair?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Aww, thank you Caroline! For my hair I part it down the center (or off center) and french braid each side. Then I tuck the ends under the other braid in the back of my head. Does that make sense? My mom used to braid my hair like this every day when I was younger. It is the perfect warm weather style.

      Delete
    2. Yes, it does make sense. I'll have to try this too.

      Delete
  9. Hi, just letting you know I've tagged you in a blog meme! You can find the post here: http://meganandthemachine.blogspot.com.au/2012/05/challenge-11-things.html
    Megan

    PS: what a cute dress! It looks like one of those ones that you can't help but feel joyful while you're wearing it!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for the tag Megan, hopefully I will get to it soon. I haven't ever been part of a blog meme before.

      You are right, I feel really joyful when wearing this dress :)

      Delete
  10. Adorable Annabelle ;) I've given you a blogger award! http://constantlyalice.blogspot.com/2012/05/its-honor-just-being-nominated.html

    ReplyDelete
  11. What a beautiful dress. I love the pretty fabric! Also, great action shots of you in the tree!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Alessa, gald you liked those pictures hanging from the tree - that was the fun part of taking these photos :)

      Delete