Sunday, June 24, 2012

Have You Ever . . . ?

So my dear friends, I want to know, have you ever spent more money on the lining fabric for your dress than the actual dress fabric?  A bit crazy right?  Well, that is what I did for this dress.  I selected a soft, cool rayon for my main fabric and wasn't sure what kind of lining fabric would work.  I needed something light weight, something that felt just as nice against the skin as my rayon, and something that would drape nicely.  The only thing I had in my stash that would work was silk, so I lined my dress in some silk that I bought at $5.00 a yard.  (Sadly my fabric shop does not have great deals like that anymore on silk).

Yes, my lining is more expensive than my
main fabric, but that will be our little secret :)
Sorry for the odd colors on the above photo, hubby's camera was acting up and a lot of the pictures came out really dark.  I tried playing around with the limited editing options I have on my computer and this is the best I could come up with.


On to the dress!  I love this dress and have already spent plenty of time in it this month.  A while ago I wrote up a post asking which dress I should make for some upcoming weddings.  While this dress got some votes, it was not every one's most favorite choice.  However, I chose to make it because the bride of one of the weddings I was attending emailed me to say she loved this dress and hoped I would be wearing it to her wedding.  Well, I couldn't disappoint such a wonderful bride (who also happens to be my cousin), so I went with this dress.

This picture was included because it best shows the true
 colors of the dress, not because of my snooty model face :)

What drew me to this pattern initially was the open back - I love open backs on dresses.  I'm not exactly sure why this is, but I think it is because if I am going to show off some skin I would rather do something more tasteful than a plunging neckline.  (No offense to anyone who thinks differently, I am just one who believes in wrapping their gifts).


The first time I wore this dress was to my cousin's wedding in Indiana.  The day I took these pictures I was getting ready to head off to my hubby's work party.  It was a tour of the Wabasha Caves followed by swing dancing and gambling in the caves.  Well, dear hubby and I have just starting taking some swing lessons and thought this would be a great place to give it a try.  We had so much fun!  I am an awful dancer - I don't understand rhythm or beat and am terribly uncoordinated.  That being said, a few lessons can do a lot, because I can now say that swing dancing is a blast.  And this dress was nice and cool while tearin' it up on the dance floor.


 So just like this past fall, I set a goal of three projects for my Spring Palette Challenge, and have only completed two.  The dress that everyone was most excited to see was the Grace Kelly inspired 1950's dress.  Well the event I was going to make it up for has come and gone.  So I will be saving it for another time.   Sewing will likely be be sparse in the next few months, as hubby and I have still not found the perfect house - it's out their though.  I also want you to know how much I appreciate all of your encouraging words on my last post about selling our home!  I really do believe that was the biggest hurdle, so things are really looking good.


Live in this moment and love life!
Annabelle

18 comments:

  1. Your cousin made a nice choice - this dress is so pretty on you!! It looks worthy of it's expensive lining ;-). I think I've done that once before as well with my royal blue dress (it is cotton lined with Bemberg) which never gets worn due to it's lower-than-expected neckline. I agree - the open back is a nicer way to show some skin. Very cute.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I was pretty excited when my cousin mentioned that this was the dress pattern she was most fond of, so I would say that it worked out well. I'm glad you like the dress too :) What a bummer that your royal blue dress has too low of a neckline, because it really looks fantastic on you.

      Delete
  2. Such a sweet dress! Love the fabric and it's great that you have a lovely lining. It always makes garments just that little bit more special. love it!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Mahaila! You are right, a lovely lining does make a dress a little bit more special :)

      Delete
  3. More expensive linings are probably more common than you think. =) I've made dresses from leftover pieces from other projects and then had to go buy some lining. One dress was the cost of a zipper because I had everything else leftover from other projects.

    Love your dress! I like open backs as long as they aren't completely plunging (I don't like thinking about someone not wearing undergarments, hehe) and yours looks great! And the weird color photos look artsy cool. =)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Brooke, you always share such interesting information in your comments :) Wow, to be able to only need a zipper and have everything else come from other projects, you are certainly resourceful.

      I also agree about plunging open backs - even though I'm petite on top, I still believe in wearing a bra. I'm glad you like the artsy photos, maybe I will have to play around with it some more.

      Delete
  4. You look fabulous! I love the knot detail, and despite Mr's camera playing up there are some cute photos here! The silk lining sounds gorgeous... Keep looking, you will just know when the right house comes along!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Vicki, I'm glad you like the photos - at first I was totally disappointed when almost all of them were just shadows and you couldn't see anything. Playing around with the settings really helped though. And yes, silk lining is wonderful, I just wish I could still buy it at $5.00 a yard . . .

      Delete
  5. This is a really really pretty dress! I like the idea of showing skin somewhere else ... where one doesn't have to worry about bending over or the dress shifting and a wardrobe malfunction. It's such a pretty print too!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You are so sweet Caroline. It is safe to say that this dress is wardrobe malfunction free - though it is a bit short, but not terribly short.

      Delete
  6. Yes! as a matter of fact, on the dress I just finished! The shell fabric I used was on sale at $5/m but the lining was full price at $13! lol

    This dress is gorgeous on you! The open back is so pretty on you!! (not everyone has a nice enough back to show off, although some do anyway haha!) Great come-hither look there dahling, & your snooty model look is perfect!! :)

    Best of luck on your search for the perfect house; it's definitely out there! :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Symon, I can always count on you for sweet and thoughtful comments that also make me laugh. Thanks so much :)

      Delete
  7. Wao, this dress looks fantastic!! Don't worry, I wont tell anyone your little secret... hahaha. The colors of the dress are just so alive and vibrant. I really love open back dresses as well, they are sexy without showing too much.

    www.thejoyoffashion.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Wow, thanks for stopping by my little blog Marie! I simply adore your blog and am so glad to have stumbled upon it. Your sweet comments mean a lot :)

      Delete
  8. Lovely dress, and oh wow, I bet it feels totally lush with the silk lining! I love the back cut-out!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, Alessa I love the feel of the silk lining (and it really keeps the dress breathable with all of the warm weather that we have been having).

      Delete
  9. Is that really wrong? The lining touches your skin, it should be of good quality!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. A really goof point Kathleen! I think I've just grown accustom to the cheap acetate on polyester that RTW clothing has for liners, it makes it just feel wrong to use silk. But I think you are right, better the have the lining (which touches the skin) be of the best quality.

      Delete