Wednesday, September 19, 2012

Finding Fall


Why hello!  It has been a while hasn't it?  When we last met I mentioned that I was moving and that was that, two months of silence with nothing more.  Well hubby and I had sold our house much quicker than anticipated, which left us scrambling to find a place to live.  We ending up choosing to live with my parents as a temporary solution while keeping up the house hunting.  I am happy to report that we did find a home and will be moving in next month!  But more on that for a later post, because I am happy to say that I finally started to sew.


When Tasia first announced her new Alma blouse, I knew that it was the pattern to break me from my sewing rut.  I needed some more tops to wear to work, I needed something that would require little fitting and adjusting, and I had the perfect fabric in my stash.  The earthy tones of this butterfly fabric seemed so perfect for fall, and it was the single piece of fabric that had been in my stash the longest.  I bought it from a quilt store when I was planning to get into quilting again.  I soon discovered that this soft bamboo cotton was not worthy of a quilt and was much more suited for clothing.  However, having only 1.25 yards of fabric, it sat in my stash waiting for the perfect pattern.


These pictures were taken from the balcony of a lovely Victorian home.  Is it my parents house?  I wish!  I know a lot of parents take mini vacations to get away from the kids, well hubby and I decided we needed a mini vacation to get away from the parents.  Actually, we are quite blessed to have such accommodating and easy to live with parents (and in-laws for the hubby), but we still decided that a few days of just the two us was a wonderful idea.


I am pretty much in love with this pattern and plan on making several more versions.  It's perfect in the way that I can match it with a pencil skirt and heels for work, or some jeans and a cardigan for a walk on a fall day.  That's all I've got for now, but I am going to attempt semi-regular blogging between now and our real move next month.

Live in this moment and love life!
Annabelle


16 comments:

  1. So glad to see you back, my friend! :) Love the blouse, and so glad you're back sewing again! Yay! You look beautiful & happy! :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Amanda! Your warm welcome reminds me of why I missed blogging so much. I'm glad to be back in good company.

      Delete
  2. Great work! It looks really cute with that skirt! I just finished my first alma as well, and the long sleeve version is up next!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh thank you. I made the skirt last year and it is one of my wardrobe stapes. I can't wait to see how you next Alma goes.

      Delete
  3. Welcome back! It was so nice to see you pop up in my Reader today. I'm glad to hear things are going well for you. The new top is lovely! :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You are always so sweet, thanks for being a friend. How is the moving process going for you?

      Delete
  4. It is so good that you posted; I have been wondering about you. When you posted, we were up north for a little time away from the family. :-) The top is wonderful

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Good to hear from you Linda! Yes, moving really got in the way of blogging and I have been absent for some time. A vacation up north with the family sounds delightful!

      Delete
  5. You know, I didn't like this blouse pattern much when I first saw it, but as seems to happen with Tasia's patterns, as I see more and more versions online and am beginning to really really like it. I just ordered the Cambie dress though and am working on another big project, so this will have to be later. Yours is really pretty! And I wear blouses just this length, and untucked....

    I had wondered how you were ... The house selling quickly is truly a blessing. And I'm glad you have a new one.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Caroline, I have missed you! Thanks for stopping by. I agree about Tasia's patterns, sometime I have to see several versions before I fall in love with them. Though I knew right away that Alma was for me :)

      Delete
  6. Love this fabric. It looks great in the Alma blouse. Another one of the hundreds to convince me to get that order in!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Awe, thanks Nikki! If you haven't yet taken the plunge and bought the pattern, I highly recommend it. Tasia's patterns are always so easy to work with.

      Delete
  7. I absolutely adore this fabric! It blends two of my favourite themes (butterflies + fall) together in one endlessly pretty pattern.


    ♥ Jessica

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You are so sweet! If I had any extras of the fabric I would send it to you, but there are just tiny scraps left over. I will keep my eye out for some fall butterfly fabric in the future ;)

      Delete