Wednesday, September 26, 2012

Summer Sewing Swap?

Okay, I understand that summer is over and leaves are turning colors - so what is this summer sewing swap?  Back in July, Kerry of Kestrel Finds and Makes organized a sewing swap.  I was delighted to find out that I was paired with Roisin of Dolly Clackett.  Being assigned her swap partner was the first time I had heard of her blog, but one glance through it and I was hooked, so I immediately added her to my RSS feed.

Now, for my excuse on the delay of posting the goods.  During my recent move out of my old home (but not yet into my new home) I somehow misplaced my camera.  Without a camera, what good is a swap brag?  Luckily, with my desire to show off my newly sewn blouse last week, there was an extra push in the search for my camera and I found it!

I must say I felt like a kid at Christmas waiting for my package from Roisin - and she certainly did not disappoint!  There was such a fun variety of things that she included - and I want to use each and every one of them.


First of all, there were two lovely fabrics - a navy gingham and pastel yellow cotton.  I don't know how she knew, but yellow is one of my favorite colors - so it will be fun to incorporate this into a project soon.  After perusing Roisin's blog for a while, I must say that I am quite envious of her ability to perfectly pair her fabric choice with a pattern.  Now that I have this gingham fabric, I want to do an equally quality job of selecting the perfect pattern.


There were also three amazing patterns.  The first is Style (a pattern company I had not heard of).  It looks to be a dress from the 70's.  While I am not a huge fan of the 70's, I love this pattern as it reminds of a dress that I almost bought this past summer.  I only passed it up because for the price, I was not in love with the fabric.  Now I can make it myself and choose any fabric I want.  The next pattern is a Woman's Weekly that looks to be from the 60's.  I am in love with this pattern and can see this made up in a wool suiting for work or a fun cotton in the summer (or both!)  Last is a Vogue reproduction from 1940.   What a classy dress - I think this one will be a lot of fun to make.  Any ideas on fabric choices?


 Roisin completed her swap with a handful of fun notions and candy.  I think any future swap should be required to include candy.  (I had to be very good and not munch on these until I was able to find my camera to take pictures).


Thank you my dear swap buddy Roisin (and my apologies for such a late post).  Kerry, I am so glad you organized this swap - hopefully you be planning another one.  If you would like to see what I sent Roisin, you can read her post here.

Live in this moment and love life!
Annabelle

4 comments:

  1. Glad you enjoyed the swap, what a lovely selection of patterns and I'm sure you can get plenty of inspiration for that gingham from Roisin's blog too :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Kerry! It really was a lot of fun (even if it took a terribly long time for me to post about it).

      Delete
  2. I have the perfect fabric for the 1940's dress. Everything about it is right for the pattern including the color, a dark, almost maroon red that is still lively. It is 100% worsted wool and will drape beautifully for the pattern. If you want it, let me know, we can discuss it privately. I picked it up for very little at an estate sale earlier this month.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Linda, you are so kind with your offer. I have actually been wanting to purchase a maroon or burgundy wool for several projects. I may follow up on your offer.

      Delete