Monday, October 8, 2012

Anna V's B&B

Thanks for your thoughts on the Paying to Blog bit, I've decided that at least for now I will continue to blog because I do enjoy it so much!

As I mentioned in a recent post, hubby and I took a mini vacation to a bed a breakfast town.   A most wonderful idea if you ask me.  We stayed at Anna V's B&B located in Lanesboro (B&B capital of Minnesota).  It was a quaint little town that consisted of more B&B's than shops.


If you have never been to a B&B before, I highly recommend a stay.  You get to wake up to delicious homemade food (Anna V's even used a lot of local farms and gardens in their food prep). 

Homemade granola, local fruit and greek yogurt parfait.
Eggbake, bacon and cheesy potatoes
 Even breakfast wasn't complete without a petite dessert, is that a great idea or what?

Homemade rhubarb sorbet with chipotle sauce and something else  . . . (sorry I forgot)
And the best part is I got to stay in a home built in the 1880's.  It was beautiful, I wish I had taken more pictures of the inside.  Since I wasn't able to buy a Victorian home while house hunting this summer, staying in one for a few nights almost made up for it.


While we were in town we decided to stop in a few of the shops.  It's funny how every other shop advertised that they sold antiques, but what that meant was there was usually a small table or two that was filled with junk.  Now, I'm not the most seasoned antique shopper, but  I think that 1980's tupperware is more garage sale material than antique.  Besides, I was on the hunt for some vintage patterns, fabric and notions.

I did not find what I was looking for, but I did stumble upon this cute little piece of lingerie at a shop just outside of Lanseboro.  I thought about buying it, but the lady working in the shop did not know anything about it (approximate era, material, etc.) so I took a few pictures of it before leaving:

Do you think it will fit?
 Okay, the minute I got back to the car I turned to hubby and said, I really want to buy that cute piece of lingerie, let's go back.  I was hoping to have a giveaway on my blog for it, but now that I have it in my hands I am not sure that I want to give it up.

Love the lace detail, great care was taken during the construction of this.
 So I mentioned that the lady in the shop had zero knowledge as to when this piece could possibly have been made.  I'm thinking it's a well done reproduction, but it could be authentic.  What do you think?  The actual style of the piece looks kind of 1930's to me, but I am not an expert.  There are also details like hook and eye closures along the side seam and button closures for the legs - which would indicate that it is older.

Side seam hook and eye closures
The two signs that it may not be authentic is that the fabric feels like nylon to me, which was not widely used in the 30's, though it did exist.  Also, the side seams are serged, which again was not widely used but did exist back then.
Button closure on the legs
I really like the over-all construction of the piece - a lot of care was taken to cover all seams except for the side seams which have been serged.  Even the straps have been sewn on using techniques from this vintage lingerie sewing booklet.

I'm trying to decide if I want to have a giveaway for this little lingerie piece or use it to make a template for a sewing pattern so I can reproduce it for myself (with my dimensions) and share it with all of you.  What are your thoughts?  Would you like a chance to win this?  Would you rather that it was a pattern? Do you have no interest either way (a perfectly acceptable and respected option too)?

Live in this moment and love life!
Annabelle

No comments:

Post a Comment