Wednesday, October 17, 2012

Autumn Joy!


I am just giddy with delight at the completion of this dress.  Without exception, this is my new favorite dress, and my floral 60's dress has taken a backseat to this new darling.


I picked up this fantastic pattern at a garage sale, and it has been on my must sew list since early spring of this year, I was just waiting for the perfect fabric.  Shortly after selling our old house, I made one last stop at my fabric store, knowing that my five minute drive was about to become more than ten times longer.  The icing on the cake was finding this belt which was a perfect match to the fabric.


Recently, shirt dresses have really caught my attention and I want to add a few of them into my wardrobe.  With the help of a lovely blogger, I was able to narrow my selection to this dress and one other one.  We will be sewing up another shirtdress together in the coming weeks.


While I more often than not choose to line my handmade clothing, I decided that I liked the lightweight feel of this cotton lawn.  But the lightweight fabric also lends itself to being rather sheer.  Luckily, the slip that I sewed up earlier this year works perfectly under this dress.  I think a crinoline or petticoat would actually work better under this dress, but I'm working with what I've got.


These pictures were taken right as hubby and I were leaving to attend his grade school reunion.  It was so much  fun to wear this dress, as it got lots of compliments and made a great conversation starter.  (Which I needed, since I did not really know anyone there).  I even met a woman who still has all of her mom's old sewing patterns and has offered to lend me some!


I really know that I've got a successful project when my dad is making suggestions for another one.  Yup, my dad likes this dress so much, he is suggesting I sew up another in a wool gabardine.  Well, I happen to have a stash of wool and love sewing with it.  I'm thinking this dress may have a twinsie in my closet soon.

Live in this moment and love life!
Annabelle

24 comments:

  1. What a perfect autumn dress! I just love the fabric and that collar is to die for! You look smashing!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Debi! I've never owned a dress with such a dramatic collar, but I am loving it.

      Delete
  2. Your dress is amazing!!!! Okay seriously.... I need to finish my own shirt dress right this instant. heh

    You worked the border print wonderfully and I love it paired with your green leather belt.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes! You do need to finish your shirt dress - the progress pictures were a great inspiration for me when finishing up this dress. I have decidedly fallen in love with border prints and need to find more :)

      Delete
  3. You look fabulous, I love the collar! And congratulations on finally getting home, I hope you and hubby are really happy in your new place. It looks fabulous!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Vicki :) Hubby and I are so ecstatic to have a home, I feel so blessed.

      Delete
  4. Your new dress is so cute! It looks like it fits perfectly, and that belt is amazing. :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. So kind of you to say Abby! It took a bit of work to get the fit right as I most certainly do not have an hour glass figure, but I am happy with the result. (The belt is J. Crew if you are hoping to snag one for yourself).

      Delete
  5. Great dress. I love the wide collar and how you worked with the border print.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Carolyn! This was my first time using border print and it certainly won't be the last :)

      Delete
  6. Oh honey, that is just GORGEOUS! What a perfect fabric, and I just love the way the collar turned out - well done! ^__^ You look absolutely beautiful!! :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You are always so sweet Amanda! Thank you.

      Delete
  7. What a beautiful dress! I love the wide collar! Will you share which pattern it is?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Alissa, of course I will share the pattern. It is SImplicity 3068 - found it at a garage sale, so it is not a reproduction pattern available today. Butterick B5747 has a lot of similarities with the large collar and full skirt though.

      Delete
  8. This is just so lovely! I love the collar, the pleats, the border print... everything! Wonderful job :) I can't wait to see your next shirtdress. Congratulations also on the new house! I know you must be so relieved to be able to settle into a great new home :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Jennifer! I can't tell you what a relief it was to finally get moved into our house. I never mentioned it on my blog, but the first house that we put an offer on that was accepted actually didn't work out, so we were back to house hunting again. Then we found the house that we live in now, and I like it so much more than the original one. It was a long process, but it is so good to be home :)

      Delete
  9. Beautiful, Annabelle! I have dress envy :)

    ReplyDelete
  10. OMG, This dress is just AMAZING!! I absolutely love the shape, the fabric, how it looks on you, everything! Congrats, you are so crafty :)

    www.thejoyoffashion.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Awe thanks Marie! A compliment from you always means a lot :)

      Delete
  11. Your dress is very pretty. You are encouraging me to sew for myself this year. I also enjoyed your post on wool. I am working on a skirt for my daughter, and found your blog while searching on "swing" skirts. It was fun to find that we're not the only one doing this kind of skirt! I noticed you're in Minnesota. I'm curious where... We are in Waseca, but likely relocating to Rochester. Thanks again for sharing your hand work. Love it!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you for the sweet compliment! I do hope you get around to sewing for yourself, I am still new on this journey - but I am loving it. Waseca, is that by Owatonna? I live in the Twin Cities :)

      Delete