Monday, October 29, 2012

To Be Thankful


I've already mentioned that I am so happy to be living close to family again.  But I cannot stop counting my blessings for what it means to be able to make the time to for the people I love.  A few weeks back, Hubby and I were able to make a visit to my Baba and Dido's to pick up some things from their garden before the first frost.


For years I've thought of my grandparents as invincible and decided they were much younger than their actual age.  Recently however I have seen they are starting to catch up to their true age.  My Dido has had two bad falls this year (one quite recently).  Although he is so lucky that his amazingly positive attitude helps him through recovery, it reminds me that I cannot take his health for granted.  All of us are limited in our moments here on earth - and not one moment spent with my grandparents will be something that I regret.  So while they are still here and healthy, I am making a greater effort to spend time with them and let them know they are important to me.

Hubby spending quality time with my Baba.
I love spending time in their garden because they are both so proud it - and with good reason!  On this visit I was sent home with fresh tomatoes, cucumbers, wax beans, lettuce and beets. Having fresh beets can only mean one thing in my household - Borscht.  Hubby and I recently made up two pots of this delicious Ukrainian soup, and the recipe will be coming soon.

Beets - I asked for 3 or 4 and came home with a bucket full :)

Two of my favorite people - I love you Baba and Dido!
Live in this moment and love life!
Annabelle




6 comments:

  1. What a sweet post. That last picture is so cute :). And what a lovely garden!

    We can relate - we'll be only 3 hours away now from Brandon's grandmother and will certainly be visiting more often. We'll also be 8 hours closer to our hometown so now we can take long weekends to visit our parents, which was impossible at 18 hours away.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you! I wasn't sure if this post would bore people, so I'm happy that you enjoyed it. I sure do love my Baba and Dido :)

      I am glad that you will be closer to family too! That is always a great bonus to any move.

      Delete
  2. Aww they're so cute! You know, they say people who garden live longer ;) Still, it never hurts to be mindful every day of those we love & appreciate :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. They really are the most wonderful people. And I hope they live forever because I cannot imagine my life without them - they are almost like my second parents.

      Delete
  3. oh, i love beets! we used to grow them when we were growing up in PA .... treasure those memories.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Funny thing is, the only way I can eat beets is in borscht - I think they are a very acquired taste. Memories of time spent with my grandparents are some of my most treasured moments :)

      Delete