Thursday, January 31, 2013

Horse Shoes and Hand Grenades

So perhaps you have heard the saying, close enough is only for horse shoes and hand grenades?  Well, let me expand that list to include knit two, purl two ribbing.  I've been doing my best to be diligently working away on my vintage sweater for the All Things Vintage knit along, so I can keep you updated on my progress.  After what seemed liked endless hours of K2P2 ribbing (on size zero needles no less!) I gave my work a quick measure - 4 and 13/16 of an inch.  It is supposed to be 5 inches.  Close enough I say, and onto the next steps in the pattern!


I can't believe that January is pretty much over and all I have accomplished is the bottom ribbing.  Two more months to go, and hopefully some much quicker progress.  Though I'm not going to beat myself up too badly, because I did have to wind all of my yarn before I could begin knitting, and that did take several evenings as well.


But I must stay motivated because it is usually at this point that I give myself a pat on the back and take on several sewing projects before returning to my knitting.  Even though I recently starting planning out a few maternity sewing projects (much more practical than a sweater I won't be able to wear until next fall), I am going to keep pushing forward with this project.


Any other knitters out there who easily get discouraged while knitting ribbing?  How do you stay motivated to keep working on the project?  For non-knitters, what are the types of things that cause your projects to be put on hold?

Live in this moment and love life!

Annabelle

10 comments:

  1. That's definitely close enough - it would pass in a mass production inspection! It looks beautiful and perfect! Can't wait to see the finished sweater (and be jealous). =)

    It's usually some sort of engineering dilemma that puts my personal sewing stuff on hold. Like not quite enough fabric (I'm really good at ekeing stuff though) or some crazy rigging etc. I wear myself out trying to plan it in my mind and put off starting.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Glad to know you think I'm close enough as well ;) Having not enough fabric, or determining how to cut pieces on fabric with a one-way print slows down my process too. I did start cutting out an apron a few years ago that had a giant pear print, and I got all worried when I realized that on some of the pieces the pears were upside down :(

      Delete
  2. Oh ribbing.... *le sigh*. I heartily agree that 4 and 13/16-ths is close enough! Ribbing takes foorrever and this pattern has tons of it. You're a tropper.

    I saw you're using one of my fav stand-by fingering weight yarn,Cascade. Are you using the wool/nylon blend or the wool/silk blend?

    I like the yellow you choose for the main color too. Worn in the winter, it will brighten your day, and it will transition to spring beautifully.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh how I wish I were using the wool/silk blend! I always try to buy my yarn on sale, and since this was not on sale I couldn't splurge for the wool/silk stuff. How do the two compare in your mind, am I really missing out having the nylon blend?

      I can't wait for a yellow sweater, yellow has always been my favorite color, but I rarely find anything RTW in a yellow that I like. I was so tempted to knit this up in grey with yellow for the tiny stripes. Or possible use navy as the main color for a nautical look - but I really want more bright cheerful colors in my wardrobe so that was the push for the yellow :)

      Delete
    2. Hey Annabelle! Honestly.... I prefer the nylon blend one. :) The silk blend one is well... nice and silky, but it also has much more drape and needs more blocking in the end to look nice.

      The nylon blend stays nice and stretchy (whereas the silk one doesn't quite as much - again this is where you notice drape of the silk. With so much ribbing on this jumper I think you got the perfect yarn for the pattern! :) Can't wait to see more.

      Delete
    3. Thanks for the great information about the yarn! I tend to choose so much of my yarn based on touch - that I forget about things like drape and stretch (which has been to my detriment at times).

      Delete
  3. Annabelle: I finished your German Pattern Experiment slip!!!! Go to:http://www.flickr.com/photos/morritosmmm/sets/72157632662239387/
    Hope you like it and thank you for being so generous!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Raquel, thank you so much for sharing photos. It turned out so well - I'm inspired to make another one for myself :)

      Delete
  4. I think you are doing fantastic progress!! I've always wanted to learn how to sew or knit, so I really admire how talented you are at it!

    www.thejoyoffashion.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Marie, your comments are always so kind and encouraging!

      Delete