Tuesday, January 29, 2013

Planning for a Growing Bump

Sorry for the complete lack of posts from the prior week, sort of on a whim I decided to apply for a new job.  Kind of crazy, right?  I was looking for something that would offer me a bit more flexibility once Little Pooh is here (Yes, for now, Little Pooh is what we are calling the baby - blame my dad if you don't like it).  So instead of sewing or knitting I spent last week meditating on my awesomeness - or at least anything I accomplished that could be considered awesome or impressive by an interviewee.  I wouldn't consider myself the most humble person ever, but I do struggle with bragging about myself, especially when it comes to interviews.

So, you want to know how it went?  Well I got the job!!!  I am super excited about this, and know that this new role will make it much easier to juggle motherhood with a career.  I am still working for my same employer, but just in a completely new role that uses my current skills and will also stretch me to learn some new things.

Now that I've got my career all figured out I decide it was about high time that I planned out some sewing projects for this growing bump of mine.  I've been shopping once for maternity clothes and wasn't super impressed by what I saw so I'm a little more motivated to start sewing some things for myself.


First up is a super cute shirtwaist dress.  Wait, that's not a maternity pattern, you say!  You are correct, but I've heard that shirtwaist dresses are great for nursing once the baby is here.  I've also heard that the average new mother walks out of the hospital looking like she did at four months.  Since I am a few weeks away from four months, this is the perfect time to make a dress that will fit me for a little while now - and then once the baby is here.  I will be able to count on at least one non-maternity item that I can feel good in as I work towards losing the baby weight.  The fact that this dress is sleeveless is perfect because it will be the middle of summer when I want to wear it again.

I like version 1 on the left.
Next is Simplicity 4635.  Yes, you've seen this pattern and fabric before.  I bought the pattern last summer because I thought it was cute and I might need it someday.  The fabric is a cotton lawn that I was going to use for my Spring Palette Challenge, but it was the third item that I never seem to get to.  This dress looks like it will be perfect for summer when I am at my biggest and I just want something comfortable, yet cute to wear.

So the navy does not photograph really well, but the patterns do!
Last, I have a wonderful remnant of navy knit fabric from Adrianna Papell.  (My fabric store sells remnants from designers).  It feels so soft and has a great stretch to it, so I think it is perfect for maternity sewing.  Plus, it is one of my goals for this year to sew with knits.  I have two really cute Megan Nielsen patterns that I picked up.  I think I have just enough yardage to sew both the top and the skirt - I wonder if worn together it would almost look like a dress?  But I also happened to stumble across Butterick B5860, which would be a great dress.  I feel like the Butterick dress could be worn as a non- maternity dress as well - though I am not certain.

There you have it, some of my current sewing plans.  Though if history is any indication of what is to come, I can plan on completing two of the three projects (or three of the four, depending on whether I choose the Megan Nielsen patterns or the Butterick wrap dress).

What do you want to see me sew?  Would you go for the Butterick wrap dress or the two Megan Nielsen patterns?  Any advice from current moms on what would be the most useful things to sew for myself.  (Spring and Summer is when I will be in my third trimester).

Live in this moment and love life!
Annabelle


14 comments:

  1. The most important criteria is, "Do you like it, really like it?" Prioritize your list according to how much you like each item and begin with what you like most. If you don't have time or energy to stitch the whole list, at least you have the one or two you like most and no regrets.
    Congrats on your new job.
    Do you have plans to make any gender neutral baby clothes?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank Linda, I really appreciate your advice - it is so practical. As for gender neutral baby clothes, I haven't started making anything yet, but I would like to.

      Delete
  2. Nice patterns! :-)

    Couple of recommendations from me (I have a 4 month old so have recently navigated the post-pregnancy changing-shape nursing-friendly sewing decisions issue!). Wrap dresses are also great post pregnancy as the neckline gives easy access to certain areas. And if you make the shirt waist dress (also a great nursing style, I've found!) remember your boobs will almost certainly be bigger than normal so allow for that (I've gone from a 34" to a 36" bust, a AA cup to a nearly-C cup, which has taken some getting used to, eek!). Also, if you attach the skirt to the bodice in the flat and sew up the side seams last, it means it'll be very easy to take in as your size changes post-baby.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Wow, great advice on sewing up the side seams last - that will make it much easier to take in later on :) I was planning to to fit the shirtwaist dress to my now using padded bra to accommodate for future changes, but if I change as much as you did, that's not going to help me much! I'm pretty small on top too, so I guess I should plan for a little more growth there.

      I will keep in mind your thoughts on the wrap dress when it comes time to use my knit fabric. I like knowing that it will also be useful post pregnancy.

      Delete
  3. I can't recommend enough sewing your maternity clothes. I've had a blast and have been the most confident in my adult life. I've lived out of the jersey skirts and dresses I made.I also made a woven dress that I also adore. Knits will be your friends so go from there.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for the advice, I will do my best to sew my maternity wardrobe. I may have do some more fabric shopping since I am quite limited when it comes to knits, but I believe you are right when you say they will be my friends :)

      Delete
  4. Yeah!!! I wanna hear about this job so you better call me!! :) as for advice, I have none, just need to know what you want me to make you and the baby when it comes! Woot woot.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Haha, I will give you a call. You will need to make the baby a crochet blanket with your yarn, a quilt with your fabulous new stash, and probably something that has glitter too! Sounds like you will be busy :)

      Delete
  5. I don't have any pregnancy recommendations or thoughts, but i did want to say congratulations on the new job!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh thanks! I am so happy to have found something that will offer me the flexibility I am looking for once I start a family.

      Delete
  6. Whaaaat! Congratulations!!! And yes, a button up dress would be lovely for nursing. I hated that I couldn't wear dresses while nursing. The skirt and top thing got oooold. And yeah, 4 months for postpartum seems pretty accurate though it goes away faster for some than others. I think I got into my regular clothes when the goose was about 8 months ... though low waisted jeans and that sort of thing that is more forgiving of the midsection were much sooner.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Caroline :) I'm glad to hear that you also like the idea of a button up dress - now I just need to find some sewing time so it's more than just a great idea.

      Delete
  7. Wow, congrats on the job!!! I can't wait to see what you make for your bump! I think the Megan Nielsen patterns are so cute and would totally suit you! ^_^

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Amanda! Sewing has been going slow since I posted this, but I've got some time set aside for sewing this coming weekend.

      Delete