Thursday, January 10, 2013

Vintage 1950's Baby Quilt

I wanted to take a moment to share a super thoughtful gift from my mother-in-law (who is oh-so excited to be a grandma).  Shortly after finding our that we were expecting she gave us this very precious gift - it was her baby quilt from 1952!  As hubby was opening it, I think the first thing uttered from my mouth was "it looks so vintage!"  And that is because it is.

Close up of the quilt details.

My mother-in-law knows my little fascination with sewing from vintage patterns and she thought that this quilt would be something that I would appreciate.  I must say that she is quite right and I especially love how it is gender-neutral, so boy or girl - it is going to work.


I'm trying to decide if I want to take the time to sew the bedding for our baby and use this quilt as inspiration.  Hubby is convincing me that we should just register for bedding so I can use the time to sew maternity clothing for myself as well as clothing for the baby.  He is so wise, I should probably listen to him - especially since I am just now finding the energy to think about sewing.


And just because I know that not everyone is excited to be inundated with baby posts, I'm only going to post baby things from time-time.  I'm going to have more vintage knitting patterns to share and some fun giveaways too!

Live in this moment and love life!
Annabelle

14 comments:

  1. This is such a nice treasure. I think that most grandmas-to-be have little treasures for the new parents-to-be. This is an especially nice treasure.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Linda! I was actually surprised that she had held onto this treasure for so long, I am pretty sure my mom doesn't have anything from her childhood like this.

      Delete
  2. I love old quilts - what a treasure! I have one my grandmother made (twin-size) and it is completely handsewn hexagons that are maybe an inch-and-a-half each!

    Your husband is right - buy the bedding! Babies are messy. With as much abuse as it will get with constant cleanings, you won't want to worry about all the time and work you put into making it. My sister thought she would make hers, and quickly learned she was glad she didn't spend the time and effort (she has a 1-year-old and 4-year-old now).

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Wow, a hand sewn hexagon quilt, that is a treasure! From my limited quilting experience I can tell you that a lot of time went into make that.

      Thanks for the advice about the bedding. I was pretty convinced that I needed to make it myself and even started looking at patterns. You have definitely given me reason to go with purchased bedding. Maybe I can just make a quilt that will become another family heirloom?

      Delete
    2. A heirloom quilt would definitely be worth the time - you could start one with scraps from your sewing projects. My mom remembers a lot of the fabric in my hexagon quilt being scraps from her childhood clothes. And even a tiny quilt sampler size or crib size is something that can always be used, even if someone just puts it over a lap while watching tv. =)

      Delete
    3. That is such a grand idea Brooke! I have actually been saving a lot of the scraps from my sewing projects this year - so I've got a great start. I just need to choose a pattern and grab my rotary cutter :)

      Delete
  3. That is just gorgeous! And it makes it even more special to be an heirloom too.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I totally agree that is so much more special since it is an heirloom!

      Delete
  4. What a lovely surprise! :) I agree with your hubby - I think bedding is definitely a purchasing kinda thing - whereas clothing can benefit so much more from being handmade - you and the little one deserve some lovely handmade clothes ^_^

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I do need to start working on clothing for myself and the little one! I haven't started anything just yet, but I agree that handmade clothing is of greater benefit than handmade bedding.

      Delete
  5. Oh that is gorgeous! And listen to hubby about the bedding! You know I love baby posts :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. From a mother with experience, I will have to take your advice on the bedding! Thank you. I'm glad to know that there are a few followers who will look forward to baby posts, I know I enjoy reading about your little boy!

      Delete
  6. I just love this baby quilt! What a treasure! I love getting family heirlooms. My MIL loves that I love the family history and want these "old things".

    Congratulations on the expected little one! I will never tire of baby posts -- especially if you are crafting vintage baby goodies!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you! I hope to start making baby things in the near future, haven't quite gotten around to it just yet.

      Delete