Friday, January 4, 2013

What Will 2013 Hold?

Honestly, I'm not quite sure!  That is why my sewing and knitting plans are going to seem quite vague, but I wanted a place to make them heard - so as to keep myself accountable.

I've definitely become a bit more interested in knitting lately.  I've been visiting ravlery on a far-too-frequent basis as well as pouring through my A Stitch in Time vol. II book that I've had for a year now.  I've decided to set three goals for myself, with the hopes of accomplishing at least two of them (hey, it's already a stretch since I only knit one item for myself last year).

1) Participate in the All Things Vintage KAL.  This is a group on ravelry that is taking the next three months to have a KAL, and six patterns have been selected.  The one that I nominated (from Liz's blog) even was chosen!  So of course I will be knitting up the Striped Jumper.  I've already chosen my yarn, it's the first time that I haven't purchased yarn on sale, but I got 15% off on account of it being my birthday month - so that almost counts.  This KAL is only three months and it took me over a  full year to knit my last sweater, so I am going to need to be very determined if I want to finish this on time.  I plan on posting a few progress posts so you can give me a swift kick in the pants if I need one ;)


2) Knit myself something from A Stitch in Time.  I've definitely been leaning towards the Blouse with Gathered Neckline - it's the reason I wanted the book.  I love knitting with lace yarn, it just takes sooo long to finish a sweater.  But I know it can be done, Opalrose did a fantastic job on hers.




3) Cardigans are a staple in my wardrobe, especially for work.  I need more of them, and in some fun colors.  I want to knit Georgia, by Jane Richmond.  I've got the pattern and the yarn all figured out, I just need to find the time.


While I am still very interested in sewing, I feel like I don't have a lot of direction with what I want to make this year.  As in the past years, I would like to keep a good mix of vintage and modern patterns.

1) I want to start sewing with knits!  I don't know why I've felt intimidated by them, I have no problem sewing with silk, wool or rayon - so why not add knits to the group?  I even have a few patterns on hand that call for knit fabrics - so this is the year to do it.

2) Keeping with my German Pattern Experiment that I started last year, I would like to make at least one more pattern this year and reproduce it for my followers.  I am still getting requests for the pattern that I shared last year, so I know there is an interest from others.  Plus, there are so many patterns that I want to make.  So if I make the goal of just one more, I think that is reasonable.


3) Like 2012, 2013 will be a year of weddings - I've already been told of two and have speculations for others.  I would like to make another dress to wear to weddings.  Why not just use the ones I made last year, well it will be a lot of the same people and a girl ought to have a new dress.


4) I also really want to make a quilt for myself.  Before I even bought my sewing machine, I bought all of the supplies to make a quilt for myself.  I'm not sure I love the pattern and fabric that I picked out six years ago, but I can always start fresh.  I just love the idea of a hand made quilt.

Quilt by Tallgrass Prairie Studio
Oh my, these do feel big goals!  Whether or not I accomplish any or all of these, I am looking forward to the rest of the year.  Are you interested in seeing any of the above on this blog?  What is one of your goals for this year?

Live in this moment and love life!

Annabelle


15 comments:

  1. They sound like lovely goals to me. Quite calm and meditative if you see what I mean? I'd love to add knitting to my goals but I'm very very slow and time is such a premium! But I'll really enjoy seeing how you progress with yours. Happy New Year to you and Mr, I hope it's a wonderful one for you both x

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I understand what you mean about knitting taking so much more time than sewing! I feel like a spend forever on a sweater, whereas with a bit of dedication I could sewing something in a weekend. The one thing that makes spending time knitting easier is that I can knit while cuddling on the couch with hubby and watching some football. I can't spend time with hubby while sitting at my sewing machine.

      Delete
  2. Good luck with your goals.
    I plan to draft a skirt pattern and make two skirts.
    I will follow your progress on your blog and try to post my progress on mine.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's wonderful to have you following my progress, I can't wait to see the skirts you make from your pattern. Will one of them be made from that gorgeous wool you showed me when I stopped by your house? If so, it will be divine.

      Delete
  3. I love your goals!! Those knitting projects are so so cute; that stripey one is SO YOU! ^_^ I'm glad to see you're continuing with the German pattern experiment too :) And IMO, a girl can ALWAYS use a new dress so go for it, sista! ^_^

    My main goal for this year is to draft a basic skirt and bodice sloper. I think it'll help a lot in figuring out fitting quandaries!! ^_^

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I am really excited about the striped jumper - and KAL is just what I need to get myself to finish the project in less than 13 months ;) I've already been going through potential dress patterns and there are so many that I want to make, but I should be able to start narrowing it down.

      I love that you are going to draft a basic skirt and bodice sloper - I think that it will make sewing so much easier once you have that as a reference. It will make alterations so much easier.

      Delete
    2. Yes! that's what I'm hoping too - perhaps I can finally nail down my Colette back gape problem if I have a sloper to compare them to ^_^

      Delete
  4. You make me want to learn to knit, but I have enough sewing to do! Great projects - I hope you have a very productive year!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Brooke! Perhaps you will find yourself learning to knit in the coming years. It is such a relaxing activity, perfect for coping with a stressful week. I wish you a wonderful year with all of your sewing in 2013.

      Delete
  5. i need to make some dresses to wear to weddings too. can't wait to see what you make! have any favorite patterns you'd recommend?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh yay, I would love to see the dresses that you make too! I would really love to make Vogue 1174, it's the picture above of the strapless red floral dress. I've had the pattern in my stash for a while and I think my sewing skills might be ready to tackle it (it's all that piping that has me shying away from attempting it). I also just came across McCall's 6647 and I think it would make a great dress for a wedding (though I might lengthen it just a bit as it looks really short!).

      Delete
  6. I'd love to see them all .. :) I'm hoping to make some nicer dresses for myself as well. I have several that have sat in my bins for more than a year, waiting to be made ...

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I hope you will see them all - it just means I am going to need to be very determined :) I would love to see a new dress made by you, you've made so many wonderful things over the years, but not a lot of dresses.

      Delete
  7. I want so badly to learn how to crochet and knit. I can;t wait to see your sweaters. And I agree, a girl never needs an excuse for a new dress
    Good luck with your resolutions and Happy New Year!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I love how fellow bloggers and sewists are so encouraging about a girl deserving a new dress; the affirmation is appreciated! Learning how to knit is not that difficult - you can look for a group that regularly meets near where you live and I'm sure there would be plenty of people more than willing to teach you.

      Delete