Thursday, May 29, 2014

Dear Tasia, You are awesome!


So in my last sewing related post I talked about finishing a 1940's maternity dress, and this is not that dress.  While I did finish the dress (yeah), for some reason, I haven't had the need to promenade around in a 1940's maternity dress.  Weird, huh?  Anyway, once the dress was finished I felt I had some momentum and I should keep sewing.  My sewing pattern from Vicki had not yet arrived so I thought that this would be the perfect intermittent project, and it was!



Seriously, why did I not listen to the sewing community sooner about how awesome this pattern is?  It seems everyone who has ever worn a t-shirt and knows how to sew has whipped out one of these babies.  I have had the Renfrew pattern in my stash since Tasia first released it.  At first I was waiting for a sew along (that was back when I felt like I needed a sew along for any project).  Then I kept reading about how everyone was afraid to sew with knits.  I thought, well I'm not afraid to sew with knits, but if so-and-so is then I should be too.  Ha, what a horrible, self-imposed fear.  So glad I overcame that fear while sewing maternity clothes last year, it made diving into this project much easier.



Honestly, I had every intention to blog about this shirt in early March when I finished it and took these photos.  Then life happened, so you get to see them now.  I was even thinking about retaking the pictures now that the weather has warmed up and it is beautiful outside, but then I figured I would rather spend the time writing up a blog post than taking more pictures . . . because life is busy.


Tasia's patterns are pretty well known for having great instructions that are easy to follow, but it still surprised me how easy this was to sew up.  The whole time I was sewing this, I was thinking I will never have to buy t-shirts again, I'll just sew up a billion of these. . . but I am a busy mom, so I was totally lying to myself.  I have bought t-shirts since sewing this, but I'm convinced that I will sew more Renfrews.



I love the fabric, it is a rayon/cotton blend from Girl Charlee.  It was my second time ordering fabric from an on-line retailer and I was a bit hesitant as I did not love my first experience.  However, with Girl Charlee, my fabric arrived looking a lot more like I expected it to look and I am much happier.  I've even been browsing the website some more, looking for the perfect fabric for an upcoming project - you know, for when I have time to sew.

Here is one last look at my new not-so-new shirt in action with my baby girl.  Oh man, she looks so young in these pictures.  Note to self, must write blog post shortly after taking photos . . .



Annabelle

10 comments:

  1. That fabric is perfect! Renfrews are brilliant aren't they!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, Renfrews are brilliant. That Tasia is so talented!

      Delete
  2. What a cute T-shirt! And what a cutie your little one is :-)

    I know exactly what you mean about self-imposed sewing fear. I've done that with fabric, certain notions and techniques (thank goodness I hadn't really explored sewing blogs before using an invisible zip or I might never have tried!) and, until yesterday, a twin needle. Sewing blogs are an invaluable resource but, they can have their downside too.

    Anyway, glad to see you pop up in my feed :-) I hope you get more sewing time soon!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ahh, the invisible zipper. I too put one of those in my first dress, but had I been an avid blog reader at that time, I certainly would not have attempted that either.

      Sewing with a twin needle? Perhaps some knit projects will be appearing on your blog soon? Or something else? Can't wait to see.

      Delete
  3. Your top is really great; I love that fabric.

    Yeah... I own the Renfrew but still haven't made it up. One of these days... :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Liz! I know what you mean, there is never enough time for sewing. I have a million projects that I will get to one of these days . . .

      Delete
  4. Nice job with the T-shirt. When I started working with knits, there was no one to tell me it was difficult to work with them. I started making T-shirts for my sons. Each September, I made 8-12 shirts. Then I became bold and took a pattern from one of my T-shirts that I liked. I like the shirts that I made, some for exercising and some to look nice.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Linda, you are quite the seamstress, 8-12 shirts each September! I want to experiment a bit more with making t-shirts as well so I can have a few more for dressing up or down.

      Delete
  5. Love this! The fabric is darling, and the colours really suit you :) You look gorgeous, and so does the little gal ;)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Aw, you are always so sweet. Thank you!

      Delete