Monday, May 19, 2014

Pretty Mommy | Nautical Stripes to the Rescue

Shirt: J. Crew, Skirt: White House Black Market, Shoes: Anthropologie

I know this post is a bit different from what you are used to seeing on this blog - I did not make a single thing in this outfit!  So here's the deal, ever since my daughter was born I've been obsessing a bit over fashion.  Prior to Baby Girl I had a strong sense of my personal style and I really liked it.  Problem is, 90% of my wardrobe no longer fits my current lifestyle (and some of it just plain doesn't fit).  Going from an office job with a professional dress code is very different from working part time in an extremely casual environment and being a mommy the rest of the time.

So, when I noticed that one of my favorite bloggers was hosting a mama style monday on Instagram, I decided I wanted in!  I figured that if I was going to make the effort of taking pictures of myself, that I may as well post them on my blog.  Plus, I have learned that if I am going to rely solely on knitting and sewing posts I may as well abandon this blog.


Pretty Mommy.  Like that title?  When I first came home from the hospital with Baby Girl my youngest sister was over visiting.  While sitting on my bed she looked at my pedicure (the only when I have ever had in my life) and said "oh, your toes are so pretty and you shaved your legs, what a pretty mommy."  Seriously, after nine months of feeling like a tank and still having a baby belly, that comment made me feel like a model.  I had been thinking about a way of trying to somehow incorporate that into my blog ever since.  So here it is, Pretty Mommy, a posting category for my attempts to find my new personal style while accommodating mommyhood.  Don't worry, this will not become the only content on my blog.  I am just picking up sewing again, though it is coming along quite slowly.


Okay, about the outfit.  I have always loved this skirt and I used to wear it to work, but I have always had trouble styling it.  Nothing in my closet really goes with bright pink, I actually cringe when I think of some of the ways that I wore this to work.  But now as a mom, I think a casual t-shirt goes perfectly with it.  The nautical stripes dress down the skirt, while still allowing me to feel "put together".  Plus the t-shirt and skirt combo works perfect for the fact that I am still nursing.  The shoes are from Anthropologie and they are the only shoe with a high heel that I have attempted since becoming a mom.  They are my favorite pair of shoes and I wear them all of the time.

Mama and Baby Girl
Annabelle

10 comments:

  1. Looking good, both of you. :-)
    I still have those two patterns; so when you want them we can make arrangements.
    After a year hiatus, I began posting a short while ago. I have not even begun to regularly look in on the blogs I had been following. I am just counting it good fortune that I found your post.
    -Linda

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Linda, I am glad you found my blog again. As you can see, I haven't been posting much either. Thanks again for finding those two patterns, I will try to arrange a visit soon.

      Delete
  2. You look wonderful! So happy! Baby Girl is adorable. I love this concept and the pretty mommy title too.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Vicki, you are always so sweet! Glad you like my pretty mommy concept - hopefully I will find the time for more posts in this area. Hope all is well with you, as your quiet blog has me awaiting your return :)

      Delete
  3. You both look so great! Nautical + hot pink!?! Loooove :) I think I need to pull out that hot pink fabric I have waiting in my stash!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It was an unexpected combination for me, but I do love the way it turned out.

      Delete
  4. Definitely pretty mommy! That skirt looks fantastic on you, hot pink for the win!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks dear! Hot pink is a color that I find hard to wear, but now that I have a shirt that I know goes with it, I may wear it a bit more :)

      Delete
  5. You are looking STUNNING! not just pretty, but definitely model-esque! :) Clearly motherhood must suit you! ^_^

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I must admit, I do love motherhood quite a bit :)

      Delete