Thursday, June 26, 2014

I've wanted this for more than ten years . . .


Well, I finally do have a sewing project to share with you!  While it is not a garment, it is something that I have wanted to make myself for a very long time.  As in, I've wanted to make this for more than ten years!  I made myself a knitting needle case.


I am one of those people who decides to start a knitting project, and has the yarn and pattern ready to go.  Then I find myself wondering, where the heck is my size 3 circular set?  Instead of finding it, I'll find the little plastic baggy that I bought it in.  Then I'm still left to wonder where on earth the darn needle is.  I'm hoping that by storing all of my needles in this case, and keeping the case in my knitting bag, I will easily be able to find my knitting needles anytime I need them.  I also plan to insert little slips of card stock in the slot when the needles are in use, reminding me which project they are in.

I mentioned that I have been wanting a knitting needle solution for a while, but I am quite glad that I waited until recently to make this for myself.  One reason is, I customized it to the needles that I use most frequently.  When I first learned how to knit, I used larger sized needles, like US 8 and larger.  Now, I love knitting with lace and fingering weight yarns, so I use much smaller needles.




I got the idea for this needle case off of a picture I saw on Pinterest.  I decided that I didn't really need to buy a pattern, because it is basically a series of rectangles.  I wanted something that would hold eight sets of DPNs as well as eight circular needles.  Ta-da!  That is what I made, plus there is a pocket that is perfect for holding my measuring tape, scissors, stitch markers and any other knitting essentials.



I even got fancy and decided to embroider little numbers on each of the pockets to remind me which needles go where, as well as a flower in the corner.  I used tracing paper to trace one of the flowers from the outer fabric, then I embroidered that flower onto the navy fabric.  I really like this added detail.


Having this needle case is going to help me keep my knitting organized, and hopefully will help me to be more productive in my knitting as well.

Is there anything you have been wanting to make yourself, but just haven't prioritized it?  For my knitters out there, how do you store your knitting needles, is it a working solution?  I would love to know.

Annabelle






8 comments:

  1. This is so cute, Annabelle. :) What a wonderful way to stay stylishly organized. The embroidery details are the best personal touch, too.

    I actually store my needles in the plastic envelope guys they originally came in. It would be nice to store them otherwise so that the cables could "breathe" more, but it's an easy solution for me right now.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The original packaging was how I stored everything too. While that method worked for the most part, I am happy to finally have my needle case :)

      Delete
  2. Your needle case is perfect. The embroidery is lovely. It is not very exciting; I keep my knitting needles and accessories in a Rubbermaid storage container. It fits perfectly on a shelf and holds all of my knitting things. Maybe I could embroider a little piece of fabric to make a little sign indicating this is my knitting box. :-D

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Exciting is not what matters most - being able to find your needles when you need them is what counts! I think you should embroider a little piece of fabric to indicate that it is your knitting box :-D

      Delete
  3. I love the colours you've used and the pattern is so well drafted! I hope it makes your knitting life easier!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The colors just make me happy when I look at them! I wish drafting a pattern for clothing was this easy, because it was kind of fun totally designing something from start to finish :)

      Delete
  4. Oh this is so awesome!!!!! I totally need one of these bad boys - you must be so excited to start new projects now!! ^__^ All my needles are in plastic baggies in the little individual pouches they came in - very exciting LOL

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's amazing how a little bit of organization can get your excited to start new projects. I just finished a few baby hats for some expecting friends while I was on vacation. Having all of my needles with me made it so easy! If you wanted, I could send your a rough description of what I did so you can make your own :)

      Delete