Monday, June 23, 2014

Pretty Mommy | Inspiration

Oh dear, I promised that pretty mommy outfit posts would not be the only content on my blog, but it seems I've had little else and haven't even been keeping up with the outfit posts!  My Little One is content to take two half hour naps a day, and it just doesn't leave me with a lot of time for blogging or sewing.  Let me tell you, I have been using up twenty nine minutes of each of her naps to do some sewing - but these little increments don't allow for a lot of progress.
Retro Pocket DressMonte Carlo Dress
In light of the fact that I haven't been able to capture my mommy style as of late, I've decided to share a bit of my inspiration: Boden.  I don't know how I got on their mailing list, but I seriously love browsing through the Boden catalog each time it arrives.  My favorite thing is their use of color; after spending years in an office environment surrounded by black and grey and where navy was considered a "pop of color", it is so refreshing to see bright colors.

I love using the Boden catalog as inspiration for putting together outfits from my closet, as well as for sewing project ideas.  When I find something that I really want to copy, I check out the item online, because they give you all of the measurements you would need to make a similar garment.  They even provide hem circumferences and the length of the front neck drop.  (Although, the obvious reason for this is so if you are buying the item you can get a better idea of fit, not for sewists to make replicas - haha).  Lately there are quite a few items that I would like to copy, I know I won't have time for everything I want to make - but here are few things catching my attention:
Emily SkirtGingham Shirt Dress
Seriously, how easy would it be to buy some seersucker fabric and make a cute dirndl skirt like the one above?  How about finding a shirt dress pattern and adding a few strategic pin tucks to the bodice using a gingham fabric?
Vintage Sun TopStripy Colourblock Tee

The top above could be easily recreated with a cute floral fabric, just use a TNT blouse pattern and add a Peter Pan collar.  A simple t-shirt is made fun with some color blocking.  I bet even the Renfrew pattern could easily be adapted to make this shirt!

What about you, do you use RTW as inspiration for your own sewing?  Have you made any direct copies of something you have seen in the store?  Have you used RTW fashion as inspiration to make something fabulous of your own?  If you have, I would love to know how it turned out.

Annabel


No comments:

Post a Comment