Monday, June 2, 2014

Pretty Mommy | Who Wears Short Shorts?




This is so embarrassing to admit, but I have only owned one pair of shorts for the past five or six years. They were a pair of denim "short shorts" from American Eagle that were frayed where the hem should have been.  I noticed that they seemed to be getting shorter and shorter every year (they were washed a lot, because hey, I only had one pair!).  Well I finally decided that this was the year they needed to go, and I obviously needed a replacement.  I sort of loath shopping, so it was a chore to find a new pair.  I struggled finding something that didn't make me look like I was trying to relive my teenage years, but also something that didn't say "mom shorts."

These J. Crew shorts ended up being perfect for me.  Yes, the ones with only a 3 inch inseam.  People, I am a short shorts kinda girl, mostly because I am short and anything longer than 3 or 4 inches looks almost capri length on me.  Seriously, I loved these so much I bought another pair in pink.  Now that I will have the opportunity to wear shorts more than just the weekends I figure I need more than one pair.



I wore this outfit on Saturday, which was hot and muggy - and a bit rainy.  Usually in high humidity I opt for a basic pony tail with my hair, because anything else just ends up a hot mess.  However, I have been trying to make a bit more of an effort lately.  As a result I came up with this idea to do two half french braids pulled back into a pony tail.  It has been the perfect solution for me, and I repeated the look again on Sunday.

Honestly, I think my style is still a bit in limbo here.  As I mentioned in my previous Pretty Mommy post, it has been a bit of a difficult transition between my classy office look that I loved, and now my mostly SAHM look.  I miss dressing up in skirts and dresses, and while I know that some moms can still make that look work - I just haven't be able to.


While I am still trying to determine my style, this outfit does have a few elements that are totally me.  Fun shoes and bright colors.  I can't forget to mention that the loose fitting top does make nursing a hassle free event.

Annabelle

P.S. - here's my photographer's attempt to get me and Baby Girl in the same photo.  She's constantly on the move!







6 comments:

  1. Ooo! I don't know how I missed the first one but, I like this series idea. I'm not a mom yet (save for my fur baby) but, I can definitely appreciate how casual looks better suit the stay-at-home lifestyle. I looove the color of these shorts! (and am currently resisting them myself) The outfit looks great - casual but fun! Certainly not "mom" :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I agree, the stay-at-home lifestyle does extend beyond mommies. Perhaps that is why I see a lot of your outfits as things that may work in my wardrobe too :)

      Delete
  2. I had hoped to see this little darling from the front because she looked so cute in the previous post.
    Just the other day, I saw a cute idea for shorts. Of course, it would be much easier if you made them but it would be possible to do this with a pair of ready-mades. A Scalloped Hem. Experiment with paper to make an aesthetically pleasing scallop and center the high point on what would be the placement of the front crease. Or here is this tutorial and I hope the link works.
    http://www.craftsy.com/blog/2014/06/shorts-sewing-tutorial/?_ct=mytwuj-rbew-feiji-sbysa&_ctp=%2Fsewing

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. My little one is constantly on the move, I'll try to get a few more photos of her on the blog! I love your idea for a scalloped hem on a pair of shorts. I've added scallops to a collar of a shirt before (by following a tutorial), so I may be able to do the same thing with shorts.

      Delete