Thursday, July 10, 2014

Like Boden, but Better


Oh my word, I feel like I have been working on this project forever - and I sort have been.  Recently, I shared about how I draw some of my inspiration from Boden catalogs.  When I saw the Emily skirt, I really wanted to buy it, but knew it was something that I could easily replicate.  Well, it was easy in the sense that it was not difficult, but hand embroidering a border of seventy-five inches took a bit longer than I expected.

Close-up of my embroidery and red hem tape.

I started out with a plan to make an exact copy, but as I started drawing out my flowers and looking at the photo of the real skirt, I couldn't help but feel that a nautical theme would be "better."  After spending about an hour drawing flowers, I scrapped that idea all together and starting searching pinterest for nautical themes.  Soon after, I had my little motifs picked out and I went to work drawing them out and planning how they would look on the skirt.


Though time consuming, the embroidery was a perfect project because it was easy to pick up and put down when I only had short increments of time (the story of my life right now).  But with all the work that went into the skirt because of the embroidery, I had really built up my expectations of this skirt.  I wanted to LOVE this skirt, in the end I like it, but I don't love it.

My best attempt at copying the picture from the catalog . . .

My original intent was just to make a gathered dirndl skirt and wing it.  Upon further consideration, I decided to use the skirt portion of the Cambi dress.  I liked the pocket placement of the Cambi, and I've been wanting to sew up this pattern for a long time.  A half dress is better than nothing, right?  Sewing this up has reminded me that I really need a Cambi in my closet.  It has also shown me the importance of choosing a lightweight fabric if I do the full skirt option.  The stiffness of the seersucker makes the skirt feel much fuller, so I will probably sew up the a-line version or use a much different fabric in the future.

Check out the cutie in the background!

Now that this project is done, I am excited to start something a little less time consuming.  My summer sewing list is huge, and I feel like summer is just dwindling away.  Next up is the pattern I received from this lovely lady.  Wondering what the pattern is, well you will just have to cross your fingers that I find the time to sew it up.  What's left on your summer sewing list?

Annabelle






4 comments:

  1. The skirt is wonderful. Yes, hand embroidery is time consuming. I wonder if perhaps you might love it after some time has passed, maybe next summer. You look great in it.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I have honestly never done an embroidery project that was this time consuming, so I was a bit shocked by how long it took me! I have been wearing it a bit, and it is growing on me. Thanks for the kind words.

      Delete
  2. The embroidery on that skirt is so beautiful! I really really like this and hope you grow to. Sometimes when we've been so close to something and poured so much into it we need a little distance to gain some perspective. Have fun with your next project too!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I think you are so right about needing a little distance to gain perspective! I have worn it a few more times since taking these pictures and I am liking it more :)

      I am so anxious to finish my next project! You found the perfect pattern for a gorgeous length of rayon that I had been saving for something wonderful.

      Delete