Thursday, July 31, 2014

Pool Party

Hi everyone, guess who just turned one recently?  Yes, my sweet baby girl is now one whole year old.  Where did the time go?  I know I don't typically talk about events that I have hosted when it comes to blogging, but I really enjoyed planning this party and want to share some of the fun with you.

The invites were made using a fun photo I took of my daughter.
I wanted to plan a party that would be fun, but was still simple.  I mean, she's one, it's not like she is even going to remember the party anyway.  Plus, every minute I spent working on the party was time away from sewing (so I texted my invites, grabbed a few frozen pizzas and picked up a cake from the grocery store - haha, just kidding).  

I got some help making the desserts!
Once summer hit, my girl loved spending time in her kiddie pool, so it was an obvious choice to have a pool party theme.  When it came to planning the food, I couldn't believe how easy it was to find some ideas on pinterest.  I really should use pinterest more.  The first idea I came across that I loved was a beach ball themed cake.  It's actually a dessert pizza.  This was perfect for the birthday, because my daughter loves fruit.  Also, I think the cake presents an "ooh-ahh" factor, but it was really, really easy to make.

Yum!  Everyone got to choose a piece with their favorite fruit.
But then, I found a cute idea for making a sand cake.  This seemed completely appropriate since everything goes in my daughter's mouth - including sand and dirt.  We had a guest list of about 20 (and that's immediate family only!), so I decided that two desserts would be okay.  I just cut the recipe in half, so I wouldn't spend the next week eating sand cake.

Sand Cake.
And because I have an insatiable sweet tooth and cannot resist making something that is cute, I decided we needed to have rice crispy ice cream cones.  The idea came from pinterest, though the picture just showed some teeny, tiny ice cream cones in the far back of the picture, and the link did not add much more information.  Luckily, it's pretty intuitive to figure out how they were made, and I already had an ice cream cone shaped cookie cutter.  In the eleventh hour before the guests arrived I found myself whipping up tiny batches of ice cream flavored icing for the bars.  There is peppermint bon-bon (with peppermint extract, tiny chocolate shavings and a bit of food coloring), strawberry (I squeezed fresh strawberry into the frosting, added some finely chopped strawberries and a dot of food coloring), and chocolate (from this frosting recipe).

These were so much fun to make.
We kept the rest of the food pretty simple: colorful veggie tray, chips, salsa, pasta salad and grilled chicken.  To make things a bit more fun, we used sand buckets for things like the sand cake, salsa, pasta salad and silver wear.

The pasta salads hadn't yet been put in the blue buckets.
My last touch were some simple decorations of beach balls cut out of scrapbook paper.  I just used the same general layout from the cake.  We also had two beach balls for the party that were in these colors - so it helped tie things together.


This was a really easy party to throw together, but I think it looks like a bit of effort went into it.  The only money I spent (other than food costs) was $7.00 on buckets and shovels (which are now used as pool toys) and $5.00 on beach balls (also used as pool toys).  

What are some of your party planning secrets?  Do you have any great recipes or decoration ideas to share?

Annabelle









4 comments:

  1. What a overly party! I can't believe she's one already?!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh Vicki, I can't believe how fast the year has gone by! Everyone tells you it goes fast, but not until you stop to think about it, do you realize it.

      Delete
  2. Oh, it has been a year, hasn't it?
    What a fun party.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, a year already, I can hardly believe it myself. It was a fun party, time to start brewing up ideas for next year.

      Delete