Thursday, September 18, 2014

Bombers Moon Ball


Hey, I finally have some sewing to share with you!  Lately it has been all talk as I've shared my process for planning out my fall sewing.  Right as I was about to actually start on my fall sewing something came up that put a huge halt to the entire thing.  My parents mentioned that they were going to the Fall Bombers Moon Ball.

What?  An event where people dress up in 1940's attire and get to listen to a live swing band.  Sign me up!  I did sign me up, and my husband as well.  Then I decided that I simply must have a new . . . um old . . . oh yes, vintage dress to wear.  All this occurred a week before the dance!  If you know me, then you know I have never really sewed anything from start to finish in a week.  Never.  Not ever.


Except, I did it this time (with many, many, many thanks to my hubby who spent all his free time watching our daughter, so I could spend all my free time sewing).  But can I tell you how close I cut it? When the babysitter arrived at 5:30 I hadn't showered or eaten and was still pinning the hem on my dress, with the lining to follow.  Needless to say, I did not do a hand-stitched blind hem as originally intended, but I did leaved the house in my dress and managed to do a sort of wonky victory roll-esque hairstyle with totally wet hair.


Enough with the dramatic introduction, what about the dress?  The dress is Butterick 5281, which I've had in my pattern stash forever.  I honestly wasn't even sure I liked the pattern and probably would not have sewn it up at all.  But, I was on such a tight time schedule that I needed to start with something in my stash, this was one of my only reproduction patterns that was era appropriate.  I had a few actual vintage patterns, but knew I didn't have the time for the more careful handling that actual vintage patterns require.


I love the fabric.  I used a black rayon with tiny pink flowers all over.  Not sure if hot pink was used back in the forties, but floral rayon was definitely used.  This dress is fully lined, and my lining is a hot pink silk!  It matches the flowers in my fabric perfectly.  The dress is so light weight and perfect for dancing (which for the record, both my hubby and I are terrible at, but we don't let it get in the way).


I really haven't done any vintage sewing since this dress almost two years ago!  Oh my goodness, I do miss it.  This gives me extra motivation to make sure I finish the McCall's skirt from my fall mood board.  What about you, do you prefer sewing from vintage or modern patterns?  For those of you who sew both, do you find yourself in phases of one or the other at times?  

Annabelle

6 comments:

  1. That is one speedy production! You look beautiful in it and there's no way I could look so well put together in so little time! It looks like you both had a wonderful evening!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm still in shock that I finished in time. When the picture with the airplane was taken, my heart was still racing from the adrenaline of having finished the dress. I wish I could always sew that fast, and have that much time, but my house totally fell apart during the process :)

      Delete
  2. What fun - There is nothing like wearing a dress while it is still hot off the ironing board, You look perfect in it. Vintage patterns??!! I do not, absolutely do not have vintage patters; they were new when I bought them. :-D

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Linda! Haha, of course you don't need to buy vintage patterns since you still have your patterns from years ago :)

      Delete
  3. Totally worth it, if only for that first picture of you and hubby - what a perfect pose!!!! Even starting with a pattern you weren't sure of, I suspect that when you sew something that quickly you just don't have time to over think it, which is probably a good thing, as you can just get on with wearing and loving it! ^_^ Love the colours on you too :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, with my rushed schedule, I did not have a second to over thing what I was making. I am so glad too, because this dress that I probably never would have made up otherwise has become one of my favorite dresses.

      Delete