Thursday, October 9, 2014

Falling Leaves Belcarra


Can you believe it, two completed sewing projects in two weeks?  I think I'm on a role!  Actually, I picked the two easiest projects from my fall sewing plans to sew up first.  Last week I shared my Renfrew top, which was a very quick sew.  This week I have my Belcarra blouse, which was another relatively quick sew.  I did take the time to blind stitch both the neck facing and hemline, but even with the hand sewing and french seams this baby sews up quickly.


 Hands down, my favorite thing about this top is my fabric selection.  I mean, those vibrant colors and that beautiful drape of the fabric - love!  That said, when I first started cutting out this project I whined and complained (to myself) about how much I hate sewing with rayon.  One absent minded moment and it would look like my 14-month-old helped me during the cutting process.  Sadly, I do this little pity party charade every time I sew with rayon.  Then, once I have a completed project, I'm all I need to stock up on rayon and sew with it more often, rayon is the best.


I made up a muslin of this shirt before I started cutting out my fabric and immediately decided that I needed to bring in the neckline a bit.  So I did bring it in about 3/4 of an inch on each shoulder, but I am wondering if I need to do so even more next time.  It doesn't look too bad in these pictures, but in the reality of chasing after a toddler I find that I am always adjusting the blouse so that my bra strap isn't showing.  If I elegantly trotted off to lunch dates and happy hours in red heels, maybe it wouldn't be a problem.  But, that is not my life, even if I pretended so for these pictures.


I am delighted that the fall colors are taking their time, so there is still plenty of beautiful scenery in my yard to shoot these photos.  While the hazelnut (or chestnut) tree has lost most of its leaves, there are still a few trees in the yard that have only just begun changing colors.  Hopefully things will continue to cooperate as I sew and knit up the rest of my fall wardrobe.

If I am going to continue my progression of easiest/quickest sew to most difficult/time consuming sew, that means my Beignet is next!  Will I stick to the plan . . . 

Annabelle

6 comments:

  1. That fabric! It's perfect, I adore the colours! I bet you'll wear this a ton!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Vicki! Yes, the colors are why I bought the fabric in the first place, and I think I will wear this a ton :)

      Delete
  2. The top is stunning - the colors and the print go will with the top.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Linda, I agree, the colors and print are perfect for the top.

      Delete
  3. Pretty. The leaves are a perfect backdrop for this vibrant blouse. Even thought it was a 'quick project' doesn't it feel so good?! Nothing like getting a happy - high from a new make to spur one on to do more sewing. :D

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh my gosh Liz, I need more quick projects in my life! Too often I get consumed with a project that takes me forever to finish and I feel like I can't accomplish anything. These last two quick projects have been perfect. I'm pumped to keep moving on :)

      Delete