Thursday, October 30, 2014

Just One More Row


I remember when I was younger and was told that it was time to get ready for bed, I usually responded that I was going to read "just one more page."  I loved reading as a kid.  Well, when it came to knitting up this sweater, I just needed to knit one more row, then I would get to such-and-such.  My poor husband probably thinks that it takes me three hours to knit one row . . .


After unraveling all of my previous progress on this sweater, I really didn't think I would be finishing this anytime soon.  Then I committed to including the sweater in my fall wardrobe plans - and I panicked.  I can't knit a sweater in a month or so, especially while sewing up a storm.  So, I found myself knitting constantly.  I knit in the car (while my husband was driving) even if it was just a short ten minute drive, I knit during nap time, I knit after putting my daughter to bed, I knit while I was eating.  Baby, all that knitting paid off, because I now have a finished sweater!


I have wanted to knit this sweater up for a long time.  I purchased this pattern before I even started my blog, meaning I have owned this pattern for four years.  I have no idea why it has taken me so long to knit this up as I love cardigans and wear them all the time in the fall and winter.  I suppose I did get sidetracked with all of my vintage sweaters (which by the way all have short sleeves!)  Can you believe this is the first time I have knit a sweater that has long sleeves?  I mean, I've always associated sweaters with warmth, and therefore long sleeves.  Why on earth has it taken me this long to actually knit a sweater with long sleeves?

I really do love the simplicity of Jane Richmond's Georgia.  With very few design details, this was the perfect sweater for some quick knitting.  Since I was able to knit this up faster than I expected, I took the time to reinforce the button band with petersham ribbon.  I really love how this added detail turned out and plan to add it to any future cardigans that I knit.


I love that this sweater goes not only with my fall sewing plans, but also the 1940's dress that I made this year.  Basically, this sweater goes with most of my wardrobe so it is going to get worn all the time. I am pretty happy with this sweater, what more can I say?

Annabelle



10 comments:

  1. Oooh! You did finish this cardigan up fast; looks great! I actually haven't tried reinforcing the buttonband with petersham ribbon yet... One of these times though.

    Vintage knits are so cute when they're short sleeved - but yeah not at all practical for a northern climate in the winter. I've been too often sucked in to the cute short sleeved or 3/4 length sleeved knit and they just never get worn very much. (Currently knitting a long sleeved pullover.) :D

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Reinforcing the button band with the petersham ribbon was a lot easier than I thought it would be, I used a tutorial from lladybird. Isn't it so easy to get drawn into the pretty designs of short sleeve vintage knits? Oh, those designs are tempting and evil ;) Though, I have started getting a little more use out of them lately. I can't wait to see your long sleeve pullover.

      Delete
  2. Woah, that's very very fast!! It goes perfectly with your dress too.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. My fingers and wrists are still sore from knitting like a mad woman, but I do love wearing my new sweater with my 1940's dress.

      Delete
  3. Nice sweater that goes well with your dress
    Nice braids that go well with both the sweater and dress

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Linda. I am pretty happy that my sweater goes well with my dress and my braids. I used to wear my hair like this all the time when I 10 years old! I still love wearing french braids now as an adult :)

      Delete
  4. Replies
    1. Oh thank you! I do feel pretty in my new sweater :)

      Delete
  5. Oh I'm so glad you finished it!!!! I love my Georgia too, it's such a lovely knit isn't it? :) I love the colour you picked and the fit turned out just perfect :) I've never done the petersham thing but maybe will try that on a future Georgia ^_^

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, I love, love my Georgia. I've been throwing it over everything now that the weather is cooler. Stabilizing the button band with petersham ribbon is much easier than I thought, you should absolutely try it. (I can't find your Georgia anywhere, is it on ravelry or your blog?)

      Delete