Thursday, November 6, 2014

A Little More Chocolate - Colette Beignet


As I was cutting out the fabric for my recent shirt dress, I found myself wondering if it would also be possible to squeeze out another garment from the fabric - specifically the Colette Beignet.  I really wasn't 100% sold on using any of the other fabrics that I had picked out for this skirt.  Also, I hate the idea of having leftover fabric - not enough to actually make something, but enough that I feel like I wasted money on the extra yardage.  Do you ever have that happen on a project?  It is especially miserable if it is a fabric that you love, because wasting a good thing is just a pity.  


Well, I throw myself enough pity parties, so I wasn't about to allow myself to become the victim of another one.  I halted the progress on my shirt dress and started making a muslin of Beignet.  Luckily, the size I selected was a perfect fit with no alterations, so I was able to immediately begin the puzzle of stretching out two garments from my limited yardage.  It took a while to piece out, and also came at a cost.  That cost was that I did not have enough fabric to make the matching belt for my Beignet, and the belt for my shirt dress would be cut from four pieces instead of two.  How do I feel about this?  I win!


After coming out on top with my fabric cutting, I set myself up for another pity party.  My lining is hot pink silk (yay - leftover from my 1940's dress - see, I must use all leftover fabric, always).  The pockets of this skirt are made out of the lining fabric - and the hot pink poking out of the sides of my skirt drove me crazy, it was an eyesore.  That meant ripping out a bunch of progress and inserting a new set of pockets - this time a brown polyester.  I don't particularly love polyester, but I am definitely okay with using it for pockets, especially brown pockets that don't jump out of the skirt screaming "here we are!"


I seriously love how this  skirt gives me a fake pear shape.  I used to think I was pear because I never had skinny little thighs, but I am actually "boyish" with big thighs!  I have no hips to speak of, from my under bust down to my knees is pretty much a straight line.  But this lovely skirt gives me pretend hips, and makes my upper half look even smaller.  I like having pretend hips, so I think I will have to try and make another one of these skirts.

Annabelle





4 comments:

  1. That skirt is so perfect for you - you look fabulous in it. Serious kudos for planning out a second garment at the same time as your shirt dress. I never think that far ahead so have a fairly extensive collection of fabric that's not quite big enough. Having said that, you can make some awesome small people items from less than a metre so it is slowly being used!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The only reason the thought even crossed my mind is because I thought the brown fabric paired up well with renfrew and belcarra tops that I had already made. I too have a stash of minimal yardage that I hope to use for mini-me clothing :)

      Delete
  2. Oh you clever chickadee - I always have just enough leftover fabric to plague me, I never even thought about cutting two patterns at once - DEFINITELY gonna have to try this!!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, it definitely saves the heartache of having just enough left over fabric to do nothing. I have some cherished fabric leftover from projects that I fear I will never find a project for, and I'm trying to find creative ways to prevent that in the future.

      Delete