Thursday, December 11, 2014

Curious Waves in the Sea


“My favorite colors are the colors of the sea, blue and grey and green, depending on the weather.” Sarah, Plain and Tall(Patricia MacLachlan).

I've shared this before but I loved reading as a kid, and still remember many of my first chapter books.  I'm not sure exactly why, but something about being a mommy gets me all nostalgic about my childhood.  So, when I saw this yarn on sale and noticed the colors blue, grey and green; I immediately thought of the book Sarah, Plain and Tall and decided that they would be great for knitting a sweater for my little sweet pea.  


I set the yarn aside and waited for the perfect pattern to show up.  Well, not too long ago I decided to join two ravelry groups for patter testers (Free Pattern Testers and The Testing Pool).  I have always been curious about the testing process.  I've seen lots of test projects in the sewing world for indie pattern designers.  On ravelry I've often come across projects that were labeled as test knits.  I assumed that to be a tester you needed to be one of those people who cranked out a new sweater every other week or so, or at least a good friend of the designer.  This is not so!  The two groups I just mentioned are set up so designers share a picture of their upcoming design along with the requirements and then ask for testers.  Shortly after I joined the group, I noticed that Milja Designs had posted a request to test her Curious Baby Zig Zag Cardigan.  I thought about it for nearly two weeks - because I was nervous to offer to be a tester.  I thought I might fail and not meet the deadline.  However, the pattern was so darn cute, and I thought it would be the perfect match for ocean colored yarn - as those zig zags could just as easily be waves in the sea.


Even though she was looking for a tester who had some testing history, Milja allowed me to test her pattern.  I loved this opportunity.  Let me be honest, and confess that the first thing that drew me to testing was to get the pattern for free.  Even though knitting patterns are generally around $5.00 and very affordable, I like the idea of not having to pay for them.  However, as I continued through the test process, I decided that I loved it for so much more than the free pattern.  I loved being one of the first to try a pattern, I loved knowing that I was helping the designer, and I loved that a tight deadline got me to knit my daughter a sweater in only two weeks!


Have you ever wanted to be part of the testing process, but weren't sure how to get an "in".  If you are knitter, joining one or both of the groups I mentioned above would be a great way to get started.  Have you ever been part of the testing process for a knitting or sewing pattern?  I would love to hear about it.

Annabelle

No comments:

Post a Comment