Thursday, December 18, 2014

Purple Fox Goes Sledding


I've got another test knit to share with you.  This time it is from one of my all time favorite designers on ravelry, Lisa Chemery (Frogginette).  I have been favoriting her patterns since I joined ravelry (way before I even thought about starting a family).  She just designs the most darling patterns for little ones.  Recently, I happened to be looking through her group on ravlery and noticed that she was running a test knit for her newest pattern: Silverfox Beanie and Slouch.  People, I didn't even have time to breathe.  I typed my response in so fast I was hardly sure my wording made sense.  Then I spent the rest of the day with my fingers crossed, hoping Lisa would pick me to be one of her test knitters.


The next day I saw that she had picked me to be a test knitter for her!  Luckily, I had already started swatching, because I had high hopes that I might be picked.  I had really wanted to knit up the hat in my Rowan Belle Organic Aran that I had picked up at half off at my local yarn shop, unfortunately I could not get row gauge with it.  So I decided to use my only dk yarn on hand - Sublime Baby Cashmere Merino Silk.  The color is a taupe or khaki, which is kind of blah for a little girl, so I decided to use my purple Rowan yarn for the ribbing and pom-pom to add an accent of color.


Knitting this hat was so much fun.  I had actually planned on doing the beanie version, but when I got to the part where I needed to start the decreases for the beanie, I wasn't ready to be done with the project.  Late in the night, I made the decision to stretch out the project by knitting the slouch version.  Haha, ever had that happen?  Seriously though, the cable pattern was just so interesting that I wanted to keep knitting it.


I was so excited to take pictures of the hat that immediately after attaching the pom-pom I asked my daughter if she wanted to go sledding.  Even at 16 months, I didn't have to ask her twice, I didn't even get my needle put away and she was already standing in front of my with her boots and snow pants.  This girl loves to go sledding (perhaps that is because there is no actual work involved for her, she merely enjoys sitting in the sled while mama runs up and down the hills pulling the sled).  Anyway, I was glad to see that this slouchy had was over sized enough to completely cover her ears, so we took a few more laps around the yard before I got cold and wanted to go inside.


I have to admit that all of this test knitting is doing a really good job of distracting me from the things I want to sew.  No complaints though, I have thoroughly enjoyed getting cozy on the couch with my knitting during nap time and in the evenings.  Have you been doing any knitting lately?

Annabelle

4 comments:

  1. Oh my, how gorgeous is she?! And the test knitting sounds fun, but baby girl is completely stealing the show!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. She does steal the show, doesn't she? I won't tell her that you think she is gorgeous, I'm afraid she already knows it (haha). When I get her dressed in the morning, she usually runs into my room and "checks herself out" in my full length mirror. Can that really happen at this age? I am in trouble!

      Delete
  2. Oh my goodness, this is so adorable! The cable pattern looks like little abstract owls, and the yarn has SUCH a lovely sheen to it!! :) So pretty!! It's totally the right season for knitting ^__^

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you! The pattern designed, Lisa, is so clever - I wish she made patterns for adults too. I am loving knitting right now.

      Delete