Thursday, April 30, 2015

Curses and Cleverness - 28 weeks!


I'm honestly surprised that I have another sewn item to share with you!  I feel like all I have been doing in my free time is knitting, which is strange because I usually lose the urge to knit once Spring starts to come around.  Anyway, there will be plenty of time to talk about knitting later, so let's talk sewing!

I was originally planning to sew up another Megan Nielsen Ruched Maternity Top, but I decided that there were a few things about my first one that I would prefer to change.  Namely, the shoulders were too wide and the chest opening felt too large.  I have made several Renfrews, and I love the way that they fit, plus I prefer their clean finishes to the simple finishing in Megan Nielsen's patterns.  With this in mind, I decided to mash the two patterns together to make a Megan Nielsen Renfrew.  I do love the result.


However, there was one major bummer moment during the construction of this shirt - as I was overlocking the side seams for a nice finish, my sewing machine ate my shirt.  Somehow the fabric got pulled in and folded.  As soon as I noticed, a huge panic set in (followed by a string of curse words that I am ashamed came from my mouth).  I went from thinking this is such a breeze to sew up, to thinking, oh dear, please let this shirt still be salvageable.  Once I unpicked the overlocking - a task that took forever - I noticed that there was a small hole in my fabric.  I searched the internet for ideas on clever ways to fix a hole in knit fabric.  You guys, there was nothing out there!  Aside from darning or covering it up with a patch, there was not a single truly clever idea.



Well, I decided that darning and patches are all well and good for old items that need repairing, but not my brand-new-not-even-finished-yet shirt.  So, I came up with my own clever idea and added a fun detail of some braided fabric down both sides of the shirt.  It gives my plain navy shirt a little something extra, and covers the hole in my fabric (which I did darn before I covered up).

I can still climb a tree at 28 weeks!
Have you ever had one of those moments where you thought you ruined something, but were able to come up with a clever fix?  Tell me about it!

Annabelle

8 comments:

  1. Oh Lord, the hungry sewing machine... so awful right? Mine doesn't so much EAT my fabric as mangle it at the back, by unleashing my entire bobbin into a mere centimetre of space... usually indicated by a subtle clicking and nothing more, but when I hear that sound now, my insides groan LOL.

    I generally have a knack for ruining things pretty fabulously, but my most recent delight was when I snipped a hole into a finished pair of pants as I was trimming threads. Yeah. Can't even blame a machine LOL. So I ironed on a patch of interfacing behind it - not that clever a fix, really, but so far it's working! :P

    Your braided side seam is a wonderful fix - no one would ever guess it was a fix and not a premeditated design feature :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh my goodness, my greatest fear in sewing is cutting a hole into a nearly finished garment when I am trimming threads or the seam allowance! I have definitely fallen victim of that a time or two. I'm glad your pants fix worked out!

      Delete
  2. Oh, the cleverness of you! What an awesome save, and you'd never know the cute braid detail was a cover up job. You're looking wonderful by the way!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Vicki! I have to admit that the braided detail has really grown on me, I might be intentionally adding it to other projects in the future.

      Delete
  3. Before I even saw the braided sides I loved your top - such a great idea to mash those two patterns. But holy moly - how AWESOME is the braiding?!?!?! What a fab idea - necessity really is the mother of invention, hey?!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Suzanna! I am super happy with combining these two patterns - I think I might even do it again the next time (haha, who starts planning for the next pregnancy while still pregnant?) Necessity does do amazing things for creativity ;)

      Delete
  4. I love your fix, the braiding looks great! Gotta keep that detail in mind, it's so pretty. :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Alessa! It's actually super easy to do and quick - so it's the perfect way to embellish a plain t-shirt.

      Delete