Thursday, April 9, 2015

Hello Gorgeous - 25 Weeks


Maternity clothing can be frustrating; there are some days when I look in the mirror and think ugh, I look like a water buffalo.  I remember with my first pregnancy having to politely respond to the comment "You look like you could pop any day now!"  Smiley sweetly and replying, thank you, I still have three months to go.  If you've ever been pregnant, you know what I'm talking about.  There are just some maternity clothes that add 10 pounds to your already not-so-delicate figure.   Ladies, this is why I sew for myself - I always feel better in something that I have made to fit my body, and my most recent project is one that makes me feel gorgeous.

Necklace: Bella Lily Boutique (etsy)
Dress: Made by Me
Purse: Kate Spade
Shoes: Miz Mooz

Just in time for Easter, I finished Butterick 5860, and I love wearing this dress!  Wrap dresses are super flattering on my body shape during pregnancy.  I like how I am able to fit the dress to my small-ish bust (that doesn't double in size during pregnancy like some women experience) and still have plenty of room for my mama belly.  Being a wrap dress made out of a knit also means this dress is about as comfortable as a pair of pajamas.


When I was first getting ready to sew up this dress, I felt like it was too much work.  Cutting knits always takes me forever, as I am meticulous about having each piece cut correctly on the grain.  Also, I've been taking care of my nephew several days a week - so even if my daughter takes a two hour nap, I don't have two hours of free time.  However, once the cutting was complete, this dress sews up rather quickly.  The only change I made to the pattern was to add twill tape along the shoulder seams (thank you Sewaholic Renfrew instructions for that tip, I use it with all of my knits).


This dress is going to get a ton of wear for the remainder of my pregnancy.  I actually haven't boughten a single item of clothing, and this is the first thing I've made for myself!  Luckily, I have been able to survive on a few items that I have borrowed from a friend and my sister.  However, this is currently the most comfortable and flattering addition to my maternity wardrobe, so it will likely get weekly wear.  (I love getting the maximum wear from my handmades!)


Have a fantastic rest of the week.  As for me, I'm hoping to get some more sewing time in this weekend.

Annabelle

6 comments:

  1. Oh what a pretty dress, Annabelle. Since this wraps, is this something you can even wear post pregnancy? You look very glowey (sp??) & pretty with the aqua/teal accessories too. :D

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Liz. I am hoping to wear it post pregnancy, it looked amazing on my non-pregnant dress form - but she always looks great in my handmades ;) I decided to splurge on the accessories since I haven't bought myself any maternity clothes, and it helped make my navy dress more exciting and Easter appropriate.

      Delete
  2. Hello Gorgeous indeed! You look so beautiful in this, the colour really suits and you've accessorised it beautifully!
    Sorry I haven't commented on the last couple of posts - things have been super crazy here!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. No apologies needed! I don't think I read anyone's blog for six months after my daughter was born. Being a mom is super crazy, and it drains your free time. I hope all is well with you and your boys.

      Thanks for the compliments. This is the first time I've branched out in the accessory world, and I think I like it. I've been inspired by my daughter who loves jewelry ;)

      Delete
  3. Beautiful!!! Nothing is so flattering and easy to wear as a wrap dress - I love this on you, you got the fit just perfect! I bet you could totally wear this post-baby, too ;)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you so much! This dress has been getting a ton of wear lately - I only wish I had the time to make more. I plan to wear this post baby too, that's where my wardrobe needs the most work anyway.

      Delete