I'm honestly surprised that I have another sewn item to share with you! I feel like all I have been doing in my free time is knitting, which is strange because I usually lose the urge to knit once Spring starts to come around. Anyway, there will be plenty of time to talk about knitting later, so let's talk sewing!
I was originally planning to sew up another Megan Nielsen Ruched Maternity Top, but I decided that there were a few things about my first one that I would prefer to change. Namely, the shoulders were too wide and the chest opening felt too large. I have made several Renfrews, and I love the way that they fit, plus I prefer their clean finishes to the simple finishing in Megan Nielsen's patterns. With this in mind, I decided to mash the two patterns together to make a Megan Nielsen Renfrew. I do love the result.
However, there was one major bummer moment during the construction of this shirt - as I was overlocking the side seams for a nice finish, my sewing machine ate my shirt. Somehow the fabric got pulled in and folded. As soon as I noticed, a huge panic set in (followed by a string of curse words that I am ashamed came from my mouth). I went from thinking this is such a breeze to sew up, to thinking, oh dear, please let this shirt still be salvageable. Once I unpicked the overlocking - a task that took forever - I noticed that there was a small hole in my fabric. I searched the internet for ideas on clever ways to fix a hole in knit fabric. You guys, there was nothing out there! Aside from darning or covering it up with a patch, there was not a single truly clever idea.
|I can still climb a tree at 28 weeks!|