Tuesday, September 27, 2016

Anticipation


Well, a big hello to anyone who is still around after my long absence from this little space.  Life with two kiddos certainly has kept me much busier than I anticipated, but I wouldn't change it for the world! So, my post title "anticipation;" hubby and I are in a difficult phase of life where everything is busy (kids, work, kids, family stuff, kids, kids).  Anyway, it is has been pretty tough to even get date night scheduled, other than a quick dinner.  So, back in early May of this year I told dear hubby that we were going to go to the fall hangar dance and I was going to make a dress.  Guys, it took me all summer to make this dress, I finished it up just a few days before the dance.  Not that this dress is difficult in any way, but I'm just really short on time lately.  But seriously, let's not dwell on what I don't have, let's celebrate because I sewed a dress in 2016!


Now for the dress.  The pattern is Butterick 6282, which is a reproduction pattern from 1941.  While the dress is totally appropriate for the event, I will admit that I don't love the pattern.  I was drawn to the simple, utilitarian style and the fact that it was button front, but very different from most shirtwaist dresses.  However, before making the pattern, I knew that I hadn't seen any versions of this dress that I liked, including the photos that Butterick used to promote the pattern.  All of the excess fabric in the bodice and the voluminous sleeves didn't quite work for me.  All that aside, I made the dress anyway because it was a pattern that I had on hand and I had a fabric that I thought was a good match to the pattern.


I used a wool and silk blend suiting fabric for this dress.  I think the fabric worked perfectly for the pattern, it makes this dress more of a fall and winter dress.  I kind of needed something like this in my wardrobe since nearly all of the dresses I have sewn are bright pink or purple florals.  The only adjustment I made was to take out the pleats in the sleeve cap.  Originally, I sewed up the dress as given, but when I put it on, the sleeves were just way too much for me.  I felt that even with shoulder pads, it just wasn't the right silhouette on me.  All I did to change the sleeve after detaching it was simply cut the top portion of the sleeve off, following a bell curve of a typical sleeve.  With this adjustment made, the sleeve still fit really well into the armhole of the dress with no additional alterations.


The dress naturally has a very "blousoned" bodice, but it is accentuated a bit on my dress by the fact that over the four months that it took me to construct the dress, I had lost some weight.  Oh well, that just means I should have a dress that will fit well when I have another baby (not in the works yet, but definitely a future possibility).  While I'm still a bit unsure of how I feel about the bodice of this dress, I will say that I love the skirt portion of this dress.  The box pleat in combination with the a-line skirt is the perfect amount of fabric for a flattering shape.  I'm thinking about making a skirt from this pattern in the future.  (You know, when I have time, haha).
My favorite photo from our highly anticipated date night!

Okay lovelies, that's all I've got to say about this dress.  I hope to get my act together and get some other posts up soon.  I have a nearly finished sweater (that I started a year ago), as well as a sweater that I finished just before my son was born last year.  

I will say, that finding time to be creative has been such a blessing.  I know that I need some creativity in my life, but I am content just to find bits and pieces of time here and there as long as it eventually results in something.  Until next time!


Annabelle

1 comment:

  1. This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

    ReplyDelete